Emergency Tiller

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 6, 2005
S2 8.0 c Chesapeake City, MD
I was reading an article in Practical Sailor (Nov.08) regarding the elusive emergency tiller. It got me to realize that I don't have one. Do any of the S2's out there have one or has my cockpit design left me helpless in an emergency?

Jan 27, 2007
- - Newburyport, MA
I have one for my 9.2C that I made from copper pipes and elbows that comes up through the aft hatch cover, which is forward of the rudder post. The end of the pipe joins the slot on the top of the rudder post with a bolt and wing-nut that clamps on. Even though it comes up through the hatch cover, it isn't very effective and I wouldn't want to use it in a storm because it can only turn the boat 10 degrees or so due to the size of the hatch opening and the distance from the rudder to the hatch.

In case of emergency, the best way would be to shorten the emergency tiller to about 2 feet long and have the second mate (my wife) sit in the aft cabin berth and steer the tiller to port/starbord while I shout directions from the cockpit. I check my steering cables and grease my sheaves every year to prevent steering failures. Happy Sailing.

Pete M

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Our 9.2c came with an emergency tiller. Aluminum, small and you need a person down in the aft cabin to use it below decks.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
It really makes you think. I believe the recommendation from Edson is to replace the cable every five year. I doubt most boats have ever had theirs replaced. However, my cable looks fine and I greased it this year, our first year with our 9.2A. I am also concerned about difficulties reported by some upon changing their cable. As one might expect, some continual adjustment is necessary early on, post change, as the cable gets seated and stretches a bit. That is probably the most dangerous time after the operation. So which risk is greater? Edson's designs tend to be robust, for obvious reasons. I plan to pull my compass and engine controls to thoroughly grease the top chain and sprocket this season. Then I will make a call on whether or not to replace the cable. The best use of an emergency tiller is as ballast ;-)

Jan 27, 2007
- - Newburyport, MA
I agree that the emergency tiller is useless. As long as the cable is greased regularly, there's not much that can go wrong except the sheaves. The pins have to be greased as well. When I got my 9.2 C in 1993, the sheaves were dry and several sheave pins were almost worn through. I went through the steering system then, keep it greased now, and have never had an issue. The cable's not bad to replace as long as the sheaves are mounted properly and easy to adjust.

Dec 6, 2005
S2 8.0 c Chesapeake City, MD
I had to have the marina replace my driveshaft and coupler this year. They had to remove the rudder and when they put everything back together the wheel felt a lot tighter. That's when I started wondering what I would do if the steering went. I've already lost power this year when the driveshaft went and had to sail into the slip, losing the steering would be worse I think.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Good tip Pete. I can't remember if I greased the sheaves. It became an afterthought, after dealing with a complete drive shaft / cutless bearing rebuild, to grease the cable, but I bet I missed the sheaves. How did you diagnose it? Or was it obvious as you were disassembling everything anyway?

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
Are you talking about the actual grooves in the sheaves and the "key" in the center of the pulley? I'll do it, but why grease the key? Come to think of it, I have cables that run through thick jackets right to the steering quadrant (like HEAVY duty bicycle cables). I don't think I have any sheaves.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sea Stories, the latest design from Edson is the "bicycle cable" approach, if so you will not have sheaves. Edson calls it "conduit" though (a "pull-pull system"). Sounds like you lucked out and someone upgraded your system.

However, if you do have a "radial drive" system (two sheaves at the base of the pedestal and uncovered wire running to a quadrant) they do recommend you oil the sheave bearings and do indicate it is a wear concern.

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/techsupport.php has copious quantites of info.

I should definitely spend some time on this important system. I need to work on that area anyway as the PO put one of those fancy new throttle arms edson sells on and the additional weight of it makes it throttle down on its own. A simple fix, as I recall, but, if I remember correctly, one that requires you to go inside the pedestal. In which case I can check everything up there and lube the chain and sprocket.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
We must have the new design. Our boat is a 1986 if that has anything to do with it.

Jan 27, 2007
- - Newburyport, MA
My radial drive cables are uncovered and go over four pair of open sheaves before the cable reaches the quadrant. Two pair are in the engine compartment and two are under the aft berth. The bicycle cable system sounds like it could seize. Thanks for the input.

Pete M

Status
Not open for further replies.