Emergency tiller, B361

Jul 5, 2005
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
hello any fellow B361 owners. Did an emergency tiller come with your boat, and if so, where was it located? I can’t seem to find one on my boat, and figured I should determine if I have one before I actually NEED one.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
figured I should determine if I have one before I actually NEED one.
Smart thinking.
First determine if your have a place to fit an emergency rudder. I would suspect there is a covering located inline with the rudder shaft on the cockpit deck. Open it up and inspect the shape of the fitting.

Then go looking in all the hard to find voids of the boat. That is usually where it gets stored. Someplace out of the way where everyone forgets it exists.

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks J, there is indeed a spot in the cockpit for the emergency tiller, and I looked thru all the hard to get to places, but am having no luck. I’m wondering if I’m just missing it, and want to confirm before I go buy one.

Oct 22, 2014
All of the boats I have been on in your size category have had Em tillers. They were provided by the manufacturer. This does not mean yours is still on the boat. They sometimes look like fodder and previous owners have set them on docks to "lighten their load" before a race. You basically looking for something that looks like a right angle. If I remember correctly on a Beneteau they are fairly short, which made them nearly impossible to control. But it is only for emergencies. Perhaps @Ron20324 knows.

Jul 5, 2005
Thanks so much, Joker. Hopefully I don't have to purchase one, and I soon find the one that came with my boat (assuming mine DID come with the boat.)

Jul 5, 2005
Just tried to order it from Beneteau Spare Parts, out of stock. :( I doubt more stock will be coming in.

Oct 22, 2014
As an idea, I bet if you give Schaefer Marine a call in CT they might be able to manufacture an emergency tiller for you. I saw some work they did for their boss and his refit of a CAL 40. It was remarkable.

Oct 22, 2014
They may ask for a model or a drawing of what you desire. Likely will not be cheap. But they are good and pretty capable of producing just about anything.