Emerald Coast Dreams?

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Charles

I would like some opinions about the Florida panhandle area, any sailors with knowledge please respond. We are interested in the best marinas with good service yards, well protected with floating docks but very close to a bay area with good depth and not too much spoil areas. We prefer a large bay area with clear water and not too many bridges but with close access to the gulf. We are more interested in cruising activities than racing so a good cruising club would be a plus. Small towns are great but would like to be able to drive to a bigger city once in a while. I know this elusive area might exist, what do you think?? Charles & Lynn "Artistry"

D

Don

Panhandle

Pensacola, Ft. Walton Beach/Destin, or Panama City all fit your needs. Access to the Gulf at Destin requires getting under a 49 ft bridge. Very few floating docks, however, because of less than 2 ft tidal range. Send me your e-mail address if you want detailed info. Don - c27

C

Charles Duhon

Hello Don,

Glad to see you're in Niceville, that area has caught my attention before. We currently own a H34 with a 4.5 draft and a shortened mast (49 ft I think). Are there any other bridges in the bay or to the gulf that I should be aware of? Planning a family vacation in Destin this May, looking forward to exploring the area. Thanks, Charles Duhon hdi@onramp.net

R

Randy

I Recommend Pensacola

There are a couple of very nice marinas with floating docks in the pensacola area. The Pensacola Ship Yard is located in Bayou Chico, very well protected with easy access to pensacola bay. Palafox Pier is a new marina located on Pensacola bay with a protecting sea wall with floating docks. It is located downtown in easy walking distance to restuarants, shopping etc. We keep our boat(h30) in Bayou Chico Marina, a very nice, laid back marina that offers great protection from storms but not close to anything.

F

Frank Walker

50' Mast is Best

Charles, Outside of the Carribbean, there is not a better cruising area than the coast between Appalach and Mobile. The only rub is bridge clearance. I own a Hunter 30 with a 50' stick so I speak from experience. We have 5 50'ICW bridges: St. George Island near Appalachicola, Dupont Bridge near Tyndall AFB (Panama City), Hathaway Bridge(Panama City being replaced by 2003 work in progress), Brooks Bridge(Ft. Walton), Navarre Bridge(between Ft. Walton and Pensacola). I get under these bridges with inches to spare depending on tide conditions. We have very little tide in this area 1 to 2 ft. The bridge at Destin Pass is a little too low as we hit the one time that I tried this one. Other than this rub, there is several hundred miles of barrier island, light development, reasonible depth bays and waterways with good anchoring locations and good anchoring bottom. A good number of boats but not nearly as many as around big cities/ boating communities. We have a nice sea breeze that blows onshore all summer and typical thunder showers and an occasional hurricane. As for the cities Appalachicola old seaport not many ways to make a living, Panama City, small city with few industries and significant tourist trade. Destin/ Ft. Walton slightly smaller than PC with little less industry and more tourists. Pensacola bigger city more industry fewer tourists. The military has a strong presence in all of these areas and are the second tier backbone behind tourist. I know I sound like the chamber of Commerce, but I came here 36 years ago, have been all over the world and would consider living nowhere else. Good luck with your choice. Frank

B

Bob Rutland

Niceville, Fl.

We cruise the bay and the gulf on our H31. Our mast is 47'6" so the only bridge that gives us a little scare is the Destin bridge(48'to 49',even though the charts show 50'). We also have a 5'4" draft, but this poses little problems. The marina at Bluewater Bay and the Bluewater Bay Sailing Club are both right up your alley. But when you go crusing, don't miss Baytown Marina at Sandestin Resort. This is a great facility with a great staff and at a $1.50/ft. for a transient slip, it's a real bargin!! Hope to see you on the bay, Bob. S/V Lady Di II

Status
Not open for further replies.