Emerald Bay, Catalina Island Northwest Coast

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Been laying here at anchor since Sunday in 45-50 ft, at top-most anchor icon SE of Indian Rock.
First photo Sunday viewing NW, second photo today viewing SE after the "rain." Red sky tonight at sunset. Turns out to be a good spot to anchor; no charge, no limit. Only three and a half hrs from home.
20220621_093252.jpg
20220619_121554.jpg
20220622_100455.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Very nice. We just returned from four days in MdR and a week in Cat.
Still here, but moved to a mooring at Echo-9 near the beach. Wednesday night was a bit too rolly. I think the weather that day must have roughed up the ocean more than usual. I considered earlier go to around Cat, but just got lazy:biggrin:.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Bow and stern hooks, I presume.
Not this time. Actually, I haven’t done that in this spot. It’s 45-50 ft deep, plus I’ve been singling it until yesterday when admiral came over via ferry. I have plenty of room from where the hook is down to swing toward Indian Rock w/o getting into trouble. :wink3: About 140-145 ft of chain out.

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Hi Rick D and Gambit. Glad to see you guys are well. We are planning our first trip this year in first week of August. Gonna watch the show in SAN on the 4th and hang out a bit. Ahhh Emerald Bay.... I truly have a love hate with it. Have spent some of the worst rolly polly nights ever on the can there. Couldnt warp it out.. just no fixes. Even tucking in up at the scout camp can still be sketchy. And as one poster mentioned, a stern hook would, catch other sailors off guard who are anchoring, and it would put you in the same boat, so to speak, of the other poor bastards stuck for the night in the rolly seas. We tend to try to get Cherry or TH and just either dinghy over for a snorkel, or take the boat and guests over for a lunch can or hook. Its incredibly beautiful BUT even my flop stopper doesnt help when the swell comes to the bay! Maybe try down just inside of Long Point at Button Shell. Pretty protected.
Fair Winds
Rick and Pam

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Yes, Rick. It’s all true what you say. But, what you say is not true always. Of the 7 nights here this trip, only one has been in the category of those you mention above. You find similarly uncomfortable nights anchored along the shores of Santa Cruz Island as well. Emerald Bay may be at the high end of the range for an uncomfortable rolly-polly night, but it’s not in a class all alone for that! It is, however, nearly in a class of its own for natural beauty. Emerald Bay!—is the name of the place!

Last edited:

Rick

Oct 5, 2004
Hunter 420 Passage San Diego
Didnt mean to imply that Emerald is bad all the time, cuz as you said its not. Thats the love part! We have had great nights there too. I recommend it to anyone. Excited about heading that way soon. Will look for ya.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Didnt mean to imply that Emerald is bad all the time, cuz as you said its not. Thats the love part! We have had great nights there too. I recommend it to anyone. Excited about heading that way soon. Will look for ya.
PM us when you know you will be there! BTW, those public docks in SD in back of the Harbor Patrol are awful. Beam to the wind, and always derelect boats there and three out of four times, the assigned slip wasn't vacated.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
If you can get one of the moorings toward the east end of the R row they are usually a little more calm.