Embarrassing Experience With my Windlass!!

Apr 14, 2010
Jeanneau 42DS Larnaca Marina
Just purchased a 2006 Jeanneau 42 from Croatia and needed to deliver it to Cyprus about 1200 nm. I did a cursory pre-inspection survey, and when it came to the windlass, I pressed the remote up and down at the dock and all seemed to work well.
During my long (three week) delivery through the Greek Islands, the windlass started slipping when retrieving. Had many instances where the chain had to be retrieved with the winch manually or hand pulling on the chain. I was ready to order a new windlass after arrival at destination. The drum was pulled many times to inspect but no obvious issue. Is seemed that the clutch was slipping because the motor was working fine. At the end of the trip and after two weeks of recovery from the journey, I pulled the assembly schematic from the owners manual and started disassembling the entire windlass down to the deck. After careful examination, it became obvious that a washer was missing from the bottom of the assembly which would hold the gypsy and clutches a few mm higher. It was a special shape washer so I went to the authorized distributor in Cyprus (Quick Antares windlass) and luckily he found one in his shop!! After installing the 5 eu washer/spacer it all worked fine. Then I realized that I had to grease all parts per the manual, so I removed all parts again keeping the assembly instruction handy just in case. After greasing, I installed all parts and tighten down everything real tight, and when I pressed the button at the end...the clutch did not work again and obviously I started cursing... and when I moved my leg from the deck, I realized that I forgot to re-install the washer. The story had a happy ending after reversing everything and installing the washer at the bottom!!

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Now after stripping and re-assembling three times, I'll bet you are pretty good at it! Similar experience is how I became expert in several things in my life - screw up enough times and you get free practice.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That is a great story. ...... AND we want to see pictures of your new boat and the Greek islands you sailed through....:rolleyes:

:worthless:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... I realized that I forgot to re-install the washer. The story had a happy ending after reversing everything and installing the washer at the bottom!!
Remember that kittle fellow, Pogo? : "We have met the enemy and he is us".

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Whenever we dismantle or disassemble ANYTHING these days we take pictures, either with a phone or digital camera. After the job, the pictures are labeled and put in a file in the boat's file on a computer, along with any notes like; "Don't forget that damn washer, again!"

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Wow - what a complex series of fittings! My dad taught me a trick for these nested sets of washers that are used on many rotating shafts, which worked in the old days before digital photos. He'd take a length of old cotton cord and string the parts together like beads. Wash or polish the parts still on the string, and fit them together in the same order. I've used the process ever since.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
take a length of old cotton cord and string the parts together like beads
I like the idea. I have used a table with a white towel and laid the items out in the order I remove them. But this takes some work space. The string can allow working in a smaller space. Neat. Thanks.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
Wow - what a complex series of fittings! My dad taught me a trick for these nested sets of washers that are used on many rotating shafts, which worked in the old days before digital photos. He'd take a length of old cotton cord and string the parts together like beads. Wash or polish the parts still on the string, and fit them together in the same order. I've used the process ever since.
Great advice. I normally use a zip tie because I’ve had string get eaten in my parts washer.