Elusive ALDEN ZEPHYRS

Sep 6, 2022
Coronado 25 Augusta
Does anyone have the original drawings of this design? There is a curious but significant difference between ORCA and VANITY. The keel and rudder designs are different for some reason. I wonder which design is the original one - and more importantly: Why has this alteration been made?
Hello Kristian, I am the new owner of Orca. You are correct the keel design is significantly different. Here's a photo of her keel now.

Attachments

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Just purchased Orca. Can't wait to get started in her refit. Can someone please share information why on the front of her keel this notch exist?
There seems to be a pipe or hose extending about two inches from it.
Nice! I can't wait to see your progress photos. That notch is how they used to install the depth sounders. You'll find it inside the hull, above that notch, with wires attached. I have the same cut on my Challenger. The hulls are so thick in that area they needed the cut just to allow the fitting to through bolt. No structural problems, the hull is massive along there.

Mine is covered with a piece of copper sheeting bent to fit. I has a little recess around it so the copper fits flush. You only need that to keep lines from catching. Be sure you install one or some kind of guard. Once done, you'll have to be aware of it's location as travel lift slings will destroy it (BTDT).

Sep 6, 2022
Coronado 25 Augusta
Yes this is the ad I found. Went down this past week and boy has this boat changed more than multiple owners. Should I be concerned with this notch? There is a drawing located inside the boat depicting it existences on the keel. She needs more than TLC and re-powering.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Yes this is the ad I found. Went down this past week and boy has this boat changed more than multiple owners. Should I be concerned with this notch? There is a drawing located inside the boat depicting it existences on the keel. She needs more than TLC and re-powering.
You could mount another transducer inside the hull using the various (search here) methods that work without drilling a hole in the hull.

Then remove the old transducer and just fill and glass up the notch with proper materials and techniques.

I wouldn't be concerned with a structural problem because of the cut out as the hull is a few inches thick above the notch.

But the notch is a line grabber without a cover or guard.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Can you please provide functions of these two cutouts located on port side of deck?
Those are deck drains, 2 per side located amidships. There should be a small bronze drain plate (about 2X2" X 1/8"), that fits into each gain that is cut into the solid deck that leaves them flush to the deck.

Alden had these drains molded into the fiberglass hull interior. They exit beneath the water line so as to eliminate the staining from typical scuppers at deck level.

Are you fixing some rot in the toe rail?

Sep 6, 2022
Coronado 25 Augusta
Thank you. Your ability to provide information on this vessel is immensely appreciated. Orca is located at a marina near Port Charlotte and I am making preparations to transport closer to my home in Atlanta. I haven't begun any work on her yet. Just came down to pump out nearly two feet of water out her cabin. I am prepared for a 2 year project before she gets wet again. Without the support of this forum, I don't think I would've attempted a project of this scope. Those drain gates are missing. Can they be ordered or custom made? Oh yeah, someone patched up the toe rail and left as is.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Those drain gates are missing. Can they be ordered or custom made? Oh yeah, someone patched up the toe rail and left as is.
The plates would have to be fabricated but the design is simple and should be easy for any metal shop (or even a hobbyist), especially a marine shop that deals in bronze.

They are simply thin sheet bronze cut to the shape of the recess with simple screw holes and drain slots cut in. You could fit a template of an easy material like Nylon to the shape and send it to a shop for cutting.