Elusive ALDEN CHALLENGERS

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Alden Caravelle 42 / Northern European waters
During the life of my “Alden Fiberglass Boats" List post, the following Alden Challengers have remained elusive. Anyone know of their status/ fate etc?

- Original name underlined
- Boats which have subsequently reported-in have been removed from this post by edit, but read subsequent posts for info.

949A (1961) Halmatic/Molich yawl, SERENA (ex WINDSONG). Originally commissioned by William G. Anderson. Believed to be at Evanston, IL in 2002.

949B (1960) Halmatic/Field yawl, DOG WATCH (ex PENOBSCOT). Originally commissioned by Edmund H. Kendrick, Boston, MA.

949D (1960) Halmatic/Molich yawl, MARCIE III (ex AYLETTE). Originally commissioned by Harold S. van Buren, Glendale, OH.

949E (1960) Yawl Halmatic/Molich yawl, TYO. Originally commissioned by O.W. Mourer, Lancing, MI.

949K (196?) Halmatic/Molich yawl, CARILLON. Originally commissioned by T.B.Wright & R.F. Thompson, Burlington, VT.

949S (1960) Halmatic/LeComte yawl DEALER'S CHOICE (ex WHITE WING). Originally commissioned by Arthur F. F. Snyder, Boston, MA.

949AA (1961) Halmatic/Palmer Johnson yawl, THEIRIS (ex REVERIE, ex BARBARA (Tristan Jones!), ex PELEIA. Originally for Howard J. Hansen, Naperville, IL.

949GG (1963) Halmatic/Field yawl, MIMIVERRE. Originally commissioned by John V. Green, Derbyshire, England (possibly port, Hamble, Hampshire, England).

949MM (1962) Halmatic/Molich yawl PALAEMON (ex GREYSTOKE, ex INSURGENT, ex TWILIGHT. Originally commissioned by Richard H. MacGuyer, Providence, RI.

949TT (1963) Halmatic/Molich yawl, SNOWFLAKE. Originally commissioned by George Schochet, Belvedere, CA.

949YY (196?) Halmatic/Molich Yawl, BLUE MAGIC. Originally commissioned by James C. Kellogg III, Bay Head, NJ.

949CCC (1965) Halmatic/Molich yawl, SERENATA. Originally commissioned by Richard M. Saroyan, Los Angeles, CA./ San Francisco, CA.

949DDD (1966) Halmatic/Souter yawl, PETARD. Originally commissioned by Royal Engineers Sailing Association, Southampton, UK. Port, Kiel,Germany (in 1980).

Sep 5, 2015
One less Challenger to find!
I am the owner of 949bbb ocean pelican.
I only just discovered this forum and realised that I own an Alden Challenger, which is great, to finally have some information about her.
She's lying in the north west of England and we are nearing the end(hopefully!) of what has so far been a 15 year rebuild.

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Wonderful news, OCEAN PELICAN! Thanks for reporting in.

When do you hope to launch? Do you have photos?

Maybe it'll soon be time to arrange that elusive European rendezvous of Alden Challengers, Mistrals, Zephyrs and Caravelles...

I have updated all info at the listing post, including refreshing the link to the Ocean Youth Club 50th Anniversary brochure.

Did you know that she was launched by Lady R.A. Butler, formerly Mollie Courtauld (née Montgomerie)? Beware... following the various links there to intrepid arctic exploration of the 1930s can become rather addictive...

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Iain,

Do you have a listing for a Challenger named Compass Rose? Stonington, CT owned by Mr. Peter Gilley. I think Peter may be on this link but I will pass along the web site when I see him on the launch next time.

Scott

CaravelaofExe

Alden Forum Moderator
Jan 24, 2006
Ahoy Scott,

Yes, she's up at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=169 under Alden design number 949G.

She looked great when I saw her at Stonington in 2007... Can it really be possible that in two years tine that's ten years ago?

Trust you and Anne have had a great season in Bounding Home...

Fair winds,

Iain

SKraft

Oct 15, 2010
Bounding Home is looking really good for 51 years old. Except for a windlass that must be getting as tired as my back - no issues! No real adventures this summers. Just a lot of local trips. Ken Murphy and Pearl stopped by Stonington.

The Marion to Bermuda Race aboard the Alden 54 Legacy V took a good deal of time and was energy and psychologically draining to say the least.

I will try to get Peter to log into the site. She too is getting tired. I think he is a better single-handed sailor than a blogger much of a blogger.

Stay well

Scott