• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Electronics Ugrades - best approach?

Jun 14, 2010
Quorning Dragonfly 1200 home
I know this probably isn’t popular to the purists but after trying to mess around with slightly older nav tech I just use my iPad. We keep a spare down below and use a weather proof case for it at the pedestal. We also have iPhones which work as backup. We also have the usual Raymarine wind, speed, depth and autopilot stuff.
This is an increasingly popular solution. I started using PC-based navigation in 2001. Then started using my iPhone/iPad with Navionics. Since the addition of the "auto-route" feature it's evolved to a point where it's my primary planning tool and the PC navigation is redundant and more expensive. I still use Rosepoint Navigation's Coastal Explorer application for more detailed planning. However, the Navionics is just another useful tool in the bag -- the chartplotter and speed/wind/depth displays at the helm are still the hub of "here and now" helming information. Even though I added wireless NMEA capability so I can now display AIS on the Navionics app, the chartplotter display shows better AIS info, and overlays radar too, for a more complete real-time infomations display to augment what we can see around us.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser moored EVERETT WA
I still use Rosepoint Navigation's Coastal Explorer application for more detailed planning.
I have been using CE since 2015. It is a robust piece of software. Runs on Windows OS. 2019 they introduced an app version for the iPad. True to Microsoft software development it was put out in the field and tested with flaws. It has been getting better but is limited by the attachment to the original windows design.

Then I was introduced to a Mac laptop. One now very functional bit of software is OpenCPN. I’ve been using it for about a year. Very impressed. There are some quirks but it is probably more me than the software. Charts are free for us as NOAA charts are used (Both raster and vector are supported). The Canadian ENC charts work fine. :)

Jun 12, 2020
Hunter 410 Boston, MA
Converters from NEMA 0183 to 2000 are expensive. If funding allows, you may wish to replace your older equipment if your getting a new chartplotter and expect everything to show up on it. I was able to directly connect an 0183 output from a Standard Horizon radio to view AIS targets on a B&G Zeus (1st generation) chartplotter.

The Vesper AIS has a 0183 gateway. XB-8000 Class B AIS Transponder with WiFi | Vesper Marine

Oct 29, 2018
Hunter MH37 Mississauga
One more consideration for upgrades is the ability to upgrade software on all components as new versions for bug fixes and features are released. All brands allow some version of integrated system wide upgrades through the MFD, either via a memory card or direct over wifi on techie internet, however everything needs to be the same brand and also a supported model (usually released within the past 7). For example, Raymarine no longer provides software upgrades to their A, C or E-series MFD, unless there is a reported bug that can impact on safety. Anything older is no longer supported, but software last versions of software can still be downloaded. Same goes for all brands. This doesn’t mean that all your displays and instruments become obsolete, just that they stop offering the user enhancements as software and hardware keeps advancing.
My experience is the MFD is the heart of your system, so start there and upgrade around it. Your wind, speed and depth are almost certainly NMEA0183 so a gateway to N2K is required. If you need new ones of those, get N2K versions. Airmar manufactures them white labeled for all the main brands.
The AP will not integrate well for into a different brand of MFD for control through the MFD. That applies even under the same brand if the AP is an old non-current model.
Displays usually integrate well regardless of brand, just need to work through the communication protocols and conversions as may be required.
Hope this helps.

Jun 30, 2020
Hunter 356 Noank, CT
I know this probably isn’t popular to the purists but after trying to mess around with slightly older nav tech I just use my iPad. We keep a spare down below and use a weather proof case for it at the pedestal. We also have iPhones which work as backup. We also have the usual Raymarine wind, speed, depth and autopilot stuff.
Can you point to apps for the iPad such as a chart plotter that work for you? Many thanks,

Jerry