Electronics on a Pedestal

Aug 8, 2019
Catalina 250WB Clear Lake TX
Hey Folks,

Just closed a deal on a 250WB and it has an Edson pedestal with out any of the extra stainless tubing on it to mount anything. Sorry I dont know the term for that.....maybe the binnacle. Anyways I am looking to remove the compass and install a GPS unit. Anyone have pictures of their set up? The compass would be relocated to another area in the cockpit.

Thank you!

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Look at Nav Pod products. Recommend a large GPS unit at the helm. Other instruments, depth, wind direction and speed, boat speed are best installed near the mast where all cockpit crew can observe.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @jonboy20 to the forum.
The name your looking for is a “Binnacle Guard”.
There are several ways you can go. One is the syste @RoyS shared the NavPods.
Another is a. Table conneccted to a Binnacle guard. Here is MaineSails idea on a practical alternative.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hey Folks,

Just closed a deal on a 250WB and it has an Edson pedestal with out any of the extra stainless tubing on it to mount anything. Sorry I dont know the term for that.....maybe the binnacle. Anyways I am looking to remove the compass and install a GPS unit. Anyone have pictures of their set up? The compass would be relocated to another area in the cockpit.

Thank you!
Welcome, I sail out of the Houston Yacht Club, that makes us almost neighbors. A picture or two would go a long way towards getting some feedback or ideas.

Aug 8, 2019
I think I have it figured out on what I am going to do. I am going to remove the compass from the pedestal and then install a piece of Lexan. I will secure the Garmin mount to the Lexan and run the cables down the pedestal. The compass was lighted so I will use the same channel to run the cables down inside and it should not get in the way of the gear and chain. Will post a picture once I am done.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I bought a pedestal guard from Defender, less than $200 but that was without mounting feet. Then I went with Maine Sail’s method as posted by @jssailem above. Worked out well.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Maybe you'll want to add the SS tubing and go the pod route. The railing also gives the option to add a folding table for food and drink. It makes a secure hand hold for safety too.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
It makes a secure hand hold for safety too.
:plus: If you sail in rough weather, It is nice to have something solid to grab and know it will not break off in your hand...
The helm is not the the thing as you will be moving it back and forth trying to maintain course.

What about a compass for the day when all the electronics go bafluie... How you going to know which way is North?:yikes:

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I would use Starboard over Lexan. I have not had good look with the Lexan I have used.

May 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Lake Lanier
Hey Folks,

Thank you!
The tubing is known as a pedestal guard. The binnacle is the name of the housing the compass is in. I don't know of a better place than where it is to put the compass. Adding a pedestal guard is not that big a deal. There needs to be a fitting that goes under the binnacle that the guard slips into and some feet to secure the legs to the cockpit sole. Do you have any pods on your pedestal at all? Our 1985 Catalina 30 Mk I had a 1" pedestal guard and two OEM pods attached to the pedestal. (If you add a guard, use 1.25") The OEM pods are great for smaller displays. (GMI-20s in our case) Putting Depth, Wind, etc displays at the mast is for racing or large boats with a crew. If you plan to single hand/short hand sail put them where you can see them best. I ran the power and a single NMEA2K cable down the inside of the pedestal with a 4 way multiport at the top to reduce the number of cables. Going down the inside of the pedestal guard would be better but the cable ends would not fit inside our 1" guard.

At The Helm.JPG

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I ran a backbone cable and power cable up my 1” pedestal guard with no problem. Used a 5/8” hole saw (I believe, maybe a 3/4”) for the exit hole into the pod. Worked very well.
I thought about changing to a 1.25” guard but I was replacing an existing 1” one. Still have the other side of the guard tube if I need to run more cables.

Aug 8, 2019
Hey folks,

Thanks for all the replies. I got it all mounted. At this time I am not going to add a pedestal guard(need more funds). I will down the road but for now this is the route I am going. I was able to pull the wires up the pedestal with some fishing tape. I secured them out of the way of the chain on both top and bottom. I made a plate out of Plexiglas to fit over where the compass went. The Plexiglas looks thin, but under it is 4 layers to give it stiffness for the mount. Overall I am happy with it. In a few months I will get a bulkhead mounted compass. I am not too worried about having one right now as I have an additional handheld GPS unit as well as the old compass. Not to mention this is just going to be floating around the Trinity and Galveston bay area for now.

Attachments