Electronic anomalies

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
July 4 marks the first time my boat has actually sailed since September 2019. It was a good day with decent wind and I actually had everything properly rigged which was probably a ”first” .
I started to seriously look at instrument readings and they were strange and hopefully I can sort them out.
I have a Raymarine eS75 MFD bridged to ST60 Tridata, ST60 wind, ST6001 autopilot, and Raymarine Quantum radar.
Tridata works, wind works, autopilot works on standby, but won’t engage and hold a heading, reverting to standby.
I suppose that means I have to go around in circles until the fluxgate compass finds itself (I hope). The compass headings on the autopilot, set on magnetic and the binnacle compass disagree by about 30 degrees.
The GPS on the eS75 and the autopilot heading are off by a couple of degrees. and the chartplotter view is showing the boat positioned properly in relation to location and direction.
So is the problem that the autopilot fluxgate compass (not being properly calibrated ) being read by the plotter rather than the internal GPS heading?
Now the other fun part. The Chartplotter cannot find the radar which is not using wifi, it is hard wired and appears to be powered up. I key in the ssid and password, and error messages show up indicating the plotter cannot locate the radar.
Its making me wonder what gremlins I have to chase and where is the logical place to start. Everything was working when the boat went to winter storage in September 2019. Boat batteries are new and fully charged, and no wiring was changed.
At this point all I really really want to do is sail, but the electronic issues will haunt me until I get them sorted out, and I don’t necessarily want to get into fog,out of sight of land, and accidentally find myself in Manitowoc instead of Manistee.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
Raymarine has a good tech help forum and will also answer emails. However, the website is now undergoing a transition. They do list phone numbers for help.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
July 4 marks the first time my boat has actually sailed since September 2019. It was a good day with decent wind and I actually had everything properly rigged which was probably a ”first” .
I started to seriously look at instrument readings and they were strange and hopefully I can sort them out.
I have a Raymarine eS75 MFD bridged to ST60 Tridata, ST60 wind, ST6001 autopilot, and Raymarine Quantum radar.
Tridata works, wind works, autopilot works on standby, but won’t engage and hold a heading, reverting to standby.
I suppose that means I have to go around in circles until the fluxgate compass finds itself (I hope). The compass headings on the autopilot, set on magnetic and the binnacle compass disagree by about 30 degrees.
The GPS on the eS75 and the autopilot heading are off by a couple of degrees. and the chartplotter view is showing the boat positioned properly in relation to location and direction.
So is the problem that the autopilot fluxgate compass (not being properly calibrated ) being read by the plotter rather than the internal GPS heading?
Now the other fun part. The Chartplotter cannot find the radar which is not using wifi, it is hard wired and appears to be powered up. I key in the ssid and password, and error messages show up indicating the plotter cannot locate the radar.
Its making me wonder what gremlins I have to chase and where is the logical place to start. Everything was working when the boat went to winter storage in September 2019. Boat batteries are new and fully charged, and no wiring was changed.
At this point all I really really want to do is sail, but the electronic issues will haunt me until I get them sorted out, and I don’t necessarily want to get into fog,out of sight of land, and accidentally find myself in Manitowoc instead of Manistee.
Doug, you remind me of me... and my B323 ! I took 2 overnight cruises, post-covid, and IIRC, everything worked properly on the Raymarine C.P.. Getting ready for the third weekend cruise, the screen only showed me "static" . Nothing else, just staic over the whole screen. By the day of the cruise a friend gave me a newer version on the basis of "keep it, but if you don't need it, please give it back to him". I did not have time to install it, so just left everything as was. On the morning of the cruise I was at the wheel (still in the slip) and asked a crew to turn on the instrument breaker. Say what? The home page came up and it took a few minutes, but the whole plotter came back on line and worked like new- and still does! It is 16 years old on my boat. Go figure.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
If you are experiencing connection/corrosion issues I'd recommend picking up a can of DeoxIT. Not cheap but works incredibly well

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Doug, you remind me of me... and my B323 ! I took 2 overnight cruises, post-covid, and IIRC, everything worked properly on the Raymarine C.P.. Getting ready for the third weekend cruise, the screen only showed me "static" . Nothing else, just staic over the whole screen. By the day of the cruise a friend gave me a newer version on the basis of "keep it, but if you don't need it, please give it back to him". I did not have time to install it, so just left everything as was. On the morning of the cruise I was at the wheel (still in the slip) and asked a crew to turn on the instrument breaker. Say what? The home page came up and it took a few minutes, but the whole plotter came back on line and worked like new- and still does! It is 16 years old on my boat. Go figure.
Ron,
I have a C series plotter on the shelf that was doing the same thing. It was so far out of warranty that Raymarine wouldn’t service it. I took it apart and reseated all the chips. It continued to function until I replaced it with the eS75.
This time it doesn’t appear that the plotter is the culprit…more likely the autopilot control head or the fluxgate compass.
As for the radar, I will probably have to climb up and reseat the power cord and the control cable, then start from there.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
When electronics act up, sometimes a hard reset back to factory defaults works. Also check to see if there any software or firmware updates.

Cable connections can also be an issue. Start at the easily accessible ones, saving the challenging ones to last. You may not have to climb the mast. ;)