Electrics Hunter 41DS 2008

Apr 24, 2011
Hunter 41DS Riviere Sens, Guadeloupe
Having big issues with the electrics on the boat. Have massive drain with nothing on. Now I have had several folk including boat electrics people look, replaced batteries (twice!) and now have yet another expert seeking the solution.
My question is actually about lighting. Can I replace the ceiling florescent lights with LED's and does any one know where I can get them (Can't find them in the Caribbean) and do the spots in the cabins and heads, just accept similar bayonet fitting LED's ?
I'll get this figured out one day I hope as cruising is spoiled with my constant dread of no electric power.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Sorry to hear of your draining issues
As for the spots yes you can purchase direct replacements in LED's, they are not cheap but they are available right here on this site, what I have found for the florescent fixtures is a 12V LED replacement tube, which means you would have to convert the fixture from its current 120 VAC to 12 VDC.

Last edited:
Feb 6, 2008
Hunter 41 Punta Gorda
As DayDreamer41 stated you can replace all the lights with LEDs. However, I don't think that is your problem. I had the same problem. My 2 group 4D batteries would discharge in 2 - 3 weeks just sitting at the dock. Just last year I decided to replace the CO detectors, they would go off when charging the batteries. All of a sudden the batteries don't discharge. Yes the detectors were 12 V but I wouldn't have believed they would draw that much. It is worth a try and it is definitely cheaper than replacing batteries.
Butch

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
As DayDreamer41 stated you can replace all the lights with LEDs. However, I don't think that is your problem. I had the same problem. My 2 group 4D batteries would discharge in 2 - 3 weeks just sitting at the dock. Just last year I decided to replace the CO detectors, they would go off when charging the batteries. All of a sudden the batteries don't discharge. Yes the detectors were 12 V but I wouldn't have believed they would draw that much. It is worth a try and it is definitely cheaper than replacing batteries.
Butch
Interesting, so what did you replace the detectors with? and what is the difference between what was there and the replacements.

Jun 15, 2012
BAVARIA C57 Greenport, NY
On my 2007 41 DS my hardwired CO detectors died many years ago (there is a finite life on the sensor I believe). I replaced with battery powered detectors from Walmart and or Costco. Cut and terminated the factory hard wire. Works well.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Why not try what car mechanics do? When seeking a parasitic drain they TURN EVERY THING OFF!! Then disconnect the ground from the battery. Place the volt meter in series on the battery/Boat dc electric system. Measure the voltage. Say it's 3 volts. Then starting with the fuses pull them one at a time till you see a significant change in the voltage. That is the circuit that is causing your drain. Not sure what your boats normal drain is. In a car it can be as low as 50mamps. You should be able to identify this based on the circuits you have directly attached to the battery. Be Careful.

Apr 24, 2011
Hunter 41DS Riviere Sens, Guadeloupe
Thanks guys really helpful I think I'll start with disconnecting the CO2 detectors and replace the lights.
I am at the moment doing the disconnect everything and and gradually reconnect so watch this space.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
What jssailem says but bear in mind it could be more than 1 drain.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
You may want to check out Alpen Glow lights. They can retrofit some of their technology without major modifications.
We had recessed florescent lights. They made replacements with RED leds. I believe that their new stuff can be made with LED's (good quality).

https://www.alpenglowlights.com/

Jun 11, 2011
Hunter 41 Lewes
I replaced all in my Hunter 41 with lamps from MarineBeam. I don't know if SBO sells them but I found the quality very good. It's been two years and they are all still running. You do need to disassemble the fluorescent fixtures and wire around the ballasts but it is worth the effort.