Electrical Shock Drowning (ESD) & Fresh Water

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
personally, I think the "no swimming" signs should also have the ESD dangers listed on them too....
I agree. My marina also has a no swimming policy. I assumed it was to prevent swimmers from interfering with boat traffic. So...in my first week as a boat owner I lost something overboard and went into the water to find it. I was between my boat and the dock well clear of any boat traffic. At that time I'd never heard of ESD. Fortunately I was unharmed. I won't do it again.

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
A Very Good Post my Marina will fine you 15000 dollars if you try to clean your boat at the marina I always have my cord on the dock it has never been in the water and wrap around the cleats just to make sure but while I'm not on the boat I usually unplug it I have always felt it was safer to do that

Feb 26, 2011
Achilles SD-130 Alameda, CA
...my Marina will fine you 15000 dollars if you try to clean your boat at the marina.
Your marina has no authority to levy a fine for anything, much less for a completely legal activity like in-water hull cleaning.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Well Next trip up there I will take you a Picture it is Called the Clean Water act a Green Marina Maybe that is why we have such clean water up here and yours is Probability Polluted and Yes Marina's do have the Right to fine you Read your Regulations It is Legal to clean to the Water Line Only and By the way I would not have Wrote it if it wasn't a True Statement.

Feb 26, 2011
Well Next trip up there I will take you a Picture it is Called the Clean Water act a Green Marina Maybe that is why we have such clean water up here and yours is Probability Polluted and Yes Marina's do have the Right to fine you Read your Regulations It is Legal to clean to the Water Line Only and By the way I would not have Wrote it if it wasn't a True Statement.
I didn't infer that you were lying. But you are clearly misinformed. In-water cleaning of the entire hull is absolutely legal in Washington. Yes, there is a regulation stipulating that ablative paints cannot be cleaned and yes, your state Dept. of Ecology can fine a diver for doing that. Otherwise, it's all good. But your marina is not a regulatory or law enforcement agency.

BTW- I assume that part of what you were trying to say is that your marina participates in the Clean Marina program. If that is the case, you should know that the Clean Marina program is not state-run, is not regulatory in nature, carries no legal weight and is strictly voluntary.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Not in the Marina Dude it Clearly States that anyone Cleaning a Hull in the Marina under the Waterline shall be Fined!!!! Like I said I am not misinformed you are even a Diver cannot clean a hull while in the slip you can go outside the marina in open water But it is Strictly Forbidden in the Marina and You Sir need to do the research as I said before I am Here you are their it is My Marina and I believe I know what the rules State Better than You Sir Like I said I will Post a Picture of the Law and Rules of My Marina Believe what you wish But I will Prove you Wrong and Anything you May Say Because you clean the Bottoms of Boats You are not in Pristine Waters of the PNW So You Can Get Your Facts in Order

Feb 26, 2011
Not in the Marina Dude it Clearly States that anyone Cleaning a Hull in the Marina under the Waterline shall be Fined!!!! Like I said I am not misinformed you are even a Diver cannot clean a hull while in the slip you can go outside the marina in open water But it is Strictly Forbidden in the Marina and You Sir need to do the research as I said before I am Here you are their it is My Marina and I believe I know what the rules State Better than You Sir Like I said I will Post a Picture of the Law and Rules of My Marina Believe what you wish But I will Prove you Wrong and Anything you May Say Because you clean the Bottoms of Boats You are not in Pristine Waters of the PNW So You Can Get Your Facts in Order
What marina?

May 20, 2016
Blaine Port of Bellingham
And are you always this Rude to People in this Forum if so Then I want no Part of you if a Person can not say something with out being belittled and pretty much be told they know nothing and you are in Cal and i'm here I would just wish you would have a Little Respect for what a Person Says or Posts you seam to be a Know it all type of person that can Just tell someone you know little about so What my Grammar is is not up to your Standards and I put Caps in that is my Fault yes I do insert Caps a bad Habit I know but i'm not a writer and Have never claimed to be but you Sir can Call Caught Cleaning a Hull while the Boat was Moored Please do and would Appreciate The Negative Comments and Calling One a Liar is Very Wrong Thank you for not Believing But you you are found to be wrong you at least have the Courtesy to Make an apology Have a Very Good Day Sir

Feb 26, 2011
Calling One a Liar is Very Wrong
Lighten up, Francis. Nobody called you a liar. But posting something in a forum and then proclaiming (however loudly) that what you have written is a "True Statement," doesn't make it so.

OK, so here is the sum total of the actual language regarding in-water hull cleaning in the Blaine Harbor Moorage Agreement (that you presumably signed). Not only is it clear that in-water hull cleaning is allowed in Blaine Harbor, but notice that none of the rules, regulations or fines that you insist are in place are even mentioned:

"Boat hulls with soft or ablative anti-fouling paint shall not be scrubbed or cleaned in the Marina by divers or with underwater scrubbing devices. Approved haul-out facilities must be used for these coatings. Mechanical devices or scrapers, or any process that removes paint underwater may not be used.
Divers are not allowed to leave any sort of material in the water including film, debris or zinc."

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2011
Addendum:

To get it from the horse's mouth (as it were), I just spoke by phone to Greg in the Blaine Harbor office and he told me that not only is in-water hull cleaning allowed in the marina (pursuant to Dept. of Ecology regulations) but that the marina levies no fines for violations of these regulations. That is the purview of the state. He also said that while the marina encourages boat owners to haul out for this kind of work, if you do decide to have it done while the boat is in the slip, they recommend hiring a port-approved diver to do it.

Last edited: