Electrical Shock Drowning (ESD) & Fresh Water

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Thanks for posting captnron. I read that article but didn't think to post it here.
This has happened before and unfortunately can happen all too easily.
My previous boat came with the ground pulled out of the connector.

Ken

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
similar information has passed thru here before, but for this type of thing, in "our" environment, it needs to be taken notice of and understood.... thanks for posting it, Cap....

there is a guy who has a boat in our marina, who will at any time, dive in the water and swim around the marina for exercise, to cool off, or for his bath.... we are friendly and help each other out when necessary, and I have explained to him the dangers of what he is doing when swimming in the marina.... but even though he seems to be a reasonably smart guy (works for THE largest computer software company and travels the world doing marketing research and sales) he doesnt seem to think there is any danger in what hes doing.... and YES, the marina has NO SWIMMING signs posted....
its hard to understand how some peoples can be so good at what they do in one area of their life, but so lacking in being able to process information that would save their life.....

personally, I think the "no swimming" signs should also have the ESD dangers listed on them too....

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
Thanks for that timely article. I'm in a brackish water marina where I'm surrounded by big sport fishing machines that constantly run their 50 amp power and let their, often old and sun-baked, power cords hang in the water. I'm constantly trying to pull them out as we have a dockmaster who probably doesn't care or is ignorant of the potential dangers. There oughtta be a dockmaster's course one should have to pass before being given that job, but that's a whole 'nother thread. Anyway, I'm gonna print this out and post it in our common area. I certainly wouldn't want to be the diver cleaning their hulls.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Thnx CaptRon

I forwarded the article to my kids... I've talked to them about it before but you know how kids are... it is not as true if dad said it..... :)

Jul 29, 2014
Ranger R26 Muskegon, MI
Roland5048, agreed, I'm going to print out several copies, posting one in the public area, giving one to the youth that man the marina office and asking them to post it inside, where all the workers will see it and understand why they have the no swimming policy. Maybe then, they won't be too lazy to enforce the policy!

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Thank you for posting this topic, the link, and the PDF document. I have heard about ESD but did not know about the details.

Between this and the shallow-water drowning post, I have learned some good safety stuff here recently.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
and be especially careful if your boat is in a marina where a lot of DIY electric repairs goes on. not understanding and obeying the ABYC E-11 Standard could be fatal to someone, and it's not usually the guy who ignored it... (E-11: AC and DC systems to be tied together, specifically the AC grounding bus to be connected to the DC negative bus or to the engine negative.)

May 12, 2004
So I printed and posted the article at our marina. Told the dockmaster that it was something he and other boat owners should read. Went to the marina today and the article was not there. Asked the dockmaster if he had read it. Told me he did and sent it to the marina owner. Then came out and said if I had any issues I should direct them to him. Said I only did that a public service announcement as I thought it was important and I had no issues. He told me he had checked all the pedestals around me and there was no problem. Showed me a 30 amp cord with ground fault amber lights on it. Thanked him for that and then was accused of always complaining about something, i.e. loose dock boards, shaky dock, etc. Asked then if it was OK to repost the article so others could read it. Was told I would have to get permission from the owner but, "let me know if you have any other complaints." I have been at this marina for almost 20 years. It's really a good, safe, marina. Not moving. Just had to post this rant. The dockmaster has been here about 5 years. What about dockmasters where y'all are? In a lifetime of boating and being in many marinas, I have never seen anything like this. After I speak with the owner, who I know personally, I will give an update. This is just very frustrating.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Last year while visiting Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri, two children were electrocuted swimming around a dock. I was told that the lake required owners to install a night light on their docks to cut down on drunks running into them at night. They didn't require a qualified electrician to do the work so the end result was all manner of nightmare wiring.

Jan 6, 2010
I agree with Ralph,

Reporting a problem, you may be viewed as the problem instead of searching for solutions.
It's easy when your personally unaffected, to make a wrong decision or fault the other guy.

Roland,
I'll bet the dockmaster doesn't even own a boat in the marina. What are the odds?
This is what I mean by unaffected.

CR

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Regarding that flaming-idiot dock master and owner, what may have to happen is a death or near-death in their water, and then the grieving family's attorney will sue (deservedly...) and that family may become the new owners of the property...
:(
And then, finally, the insurers of the property will force whoever owns it to upgrade all (!) the wiring and devices to code. It seems like it is often the insurer that has all the clout. Matter of fact if they ever read this thread, the (insurance rate) fur will really start to fly!

The original author of ESD articles about this threat lives in our area and has given talks to our club concerning the danger that caused the death of his son. We have totally upgraded and rewired all our docks, and we forbid recreational swimming.
With a real-world risk like this, we would lose our insurers if we did not display 'due diligence'.

Regards,
Loren

Jan 6, 2010
Loren,

I agree.

Another BIG problem that's rarely addressed, is the boat owners' responsibility in all of this.

How is their boat internally wired? Does it have stray current out the thruhulls, shaft or grounding blocks.
Hence, herein lies the first line of defense. Is it possible to have them all comply.........that's a joke.

So, the only way to ensure you are safe in fresh water is to swim some place safe. Not off docks or in marinas
where there is elec. power running.

I've read that minor DC stray current in fresh water can also shock and/or kill.

CR

May 12, 2004
Haven't spoken to the owner yet but went back to the marina last night after hours. The article was still gone but, now in it's place were two articles on the dangers of drinking. Guess the DM feels that's more important. Go figure.

May 12, 2004
Reporting a problem, you may be viewed as the problem instead of searching for solutions.
That's what I've been getting from this DM over the years. He definitely does not like anyone reporting a problem. Having decided that discretion being the better part of valor, I am going to let this matter go. If the owner has concerns, he knows how to reach me. As for the DM, he has shown over the years that he has a very vindictive nature. Has evicted several boaters for what seemed, to me and others, to be trivial or made up reasons. This is an unwinnable cause and as much as I hate giving up a cause, sometimes you just have to know when to fold 'em.

Jan 6, 2010
ROL,

Sometimes you need take it upstairs man. Obviously, he's a d*ck so, you are wasting your breath on him.
And remember, his agenda differs from yours so, his actions can reflect what he does.
In your case, he removed an important safety notice....very stupid on his part. Maybe he doesn't want the owner's
heat coming down on him & exposing his shortcomings.

If this were me, I would ask your neighbors how they feel about it. Give them handouts, so they are abreast of your concerns but, for him to take valuable info off the board is not only wrong, it's stupid & ludicrous.
He's a failure in my estimation.

If he is acting STUPID, make him look STUPID. Remember, "The squeaky wheel getz the grease."

Ps: he doesn't own a boat does he? Remember, enough folks onboard & you can get things done.........& changes can be made in this case, in the name of safety. I wonder what his reaction would be if one of his loved-ones were to perish under these conditions? Remember when I mentioned UNAFFECTED?

CR

May 12, 2004
CR, all of what you said is true. I've got to give the "squeaky wheel" part time as I feel (know?) I'm already in his cross-hairs. I feel the marina is now 'on notice' and my conscience is clear.
ps. I haven't been down the coast in awhile. When I do, I'll give you a look up.

Aug 12, 2014
Universal Marine Montego 25 San Pedro, CA
Sounds like the dock master is worried about (perceived) liability issues should someone suffer from ES / ESD in the marina. Though that sounds like false logic to me, as I would think that capable counsel would point out that posting the information in good faith as a warning is a public service of sorts.

This litigious society of ours, I tell you what ...