Electrical Issues - Shocking!

EJWash

Nov 25, 2015
Catalina 30 Hoodsport
We had a similar problem about 15 years ago. When we used our 5 year old hot tub the main panel breaker would trip after about 15 minutes.
I was Chief of our local fire company and borrowed the company's thermal imaging camera. I started at the breaker panel and found one leg of the incoming power was hotter than the others at the breaker connection. An electrician from my work came out and tightened the leg and checked the others. No more tripping after that.

When I bought my C30, my first boat with an inboard, I bought a $22 IR Thermometer from Amazon. I use it to confirm engine temp and even found a loose screw on an AC breaker behind the AC panel. Being loose the screw caused increased resistance and got hot enough to darken in color. The IR gun is a very useful tool to have.
Keep in mind that in my case (and in other's, I'm sure) that the shore power breaker would trip (open) as soon as any power demand was applied to the boat. Troubleshooting with a thermometer or voltage meter was not an option.