Electric Vs Vacuflush head

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Ed

I am looking at obtaining a new boat (new to me, likely used) and have a question about electric heads. I have had Vacuflush heads in the past and have loved the fresh water flush feature -but always worried about someone flushing something that they sholdn't - and the complex repair I could envision. I have not had an electric head, but they seem to be simply a marine head with a macerator on the bottom of the bowl. I understand I can hook up fresh water to this by adding a tank if nessasary. My real question is are they "more forgiving" than a normal hand pump head or vacuflush to too much TP etc. I have been told that they are, but not too sure why unless the macerator grinds up "stuff" before it trys to pump it through a discharge hose. Thanks for any insite.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Yes, the macerator grinds it up before discharging

That doesn't mean, however, that electric macerating toilets can "swallow" anything a guest might put down 'em. Tampons, wet wipes, paper towels and premium brand TP will clog one up just as fast as they will a VacuFlush. The good news is, the pressurized flush water versions are quiet, don't use any more flush water than a VacuFlush actually needs ("as little as" one pint is VERY carefully worded!), the innards aren't using up a major portion of your storage...and the price is a fraction of what a VacuFlush costs. The most basic ones (Raritan SeaEra, Jabsco 37010 series) are under $400. For about $800, the Italian-made Tecma (now owned by Thetford-Norcold, who also owns Wilcox-Crittenden) is top of the line...one piece china bowl and pedestal, a "grinder" (they don't call it a macerator) that CAN even chew up a tampon...and a pump that can move waste up to 50 vertical feet and 200 linear feet. Available in both sea water and pressurized water versions...and you can even add the bidet option to the pressurized flush water version. So depending on your needs and budget, there's at least one electric macerating toilet out there that you'll be very happy with.

Status
Not open for further replies.