Electric toilets ... like them or not?

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I can't decide if I want one or not. Need some help! (for Thunderbird, of course … not my house)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I have Electro-San (I think) on my I/O boat. I basically like it. That's because I've never had a problem with it in two seasons. That boat has a smallish waste tank and I can testify that it doesn't work well with a full tank. So I take pump out at every opportunity - which I think is good practice anyway. I don't know what happens if the battery gets run down or what its power consumption is. There isn't, as far as I know, an alternative flush function.

Jun 2, 2004
Beneteau 393 Lake Texoma, Texas
We installed a sea water version of a Raritan SeaEra electric and is has performed flawlessly since installation. It is a bit loud, but is controlled by a single button that makes it easy for use by guests (way easier to instruct on use than a manual version). Our boat is a two head version and I installed a Raritan PHII for the other head. Guess I was a bit paranoid that a battery failure would create a problem if both heads were electric. Bottom line-was a nice upgrade

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I can't decide if I want one or not. Need some help!
My 1987 Hunter 31 came with a manual flush toilet and it worked fine. My newer Hunter 386 and Hunter 46 both came with electric flush toilets, which we like for their convenience and ease of use. However, they are not without some maintenance. After 8 years I replaced the ~$100 solenoid valve (plug and play) that supplies water to the toilet after it failed and after 14 years I replaced the ~$250 pump (plug and play) on my 2004 Hunter 386 after it leaked. So far the two electric flush toilets on my 2005 Hunter 46 have been very reliable.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
After 11 years, still working great. Ours are fresh water, which makes them even better. No odors at all. And the water use is really negligible. We cruise for2 weeks, 2 people on 150 gal fresh water, including showers and galley use.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have two jabsco electric fresh water heads. Actually love them. Easy for guest to use and takes care of business. Have replaced joker valve and gaskets in one. Other will get done this season.

Oct 26, 2008
All positive endorsements it seems so far. There is a Dometic (Sealand?) model that appears to fit my space best and is least cost. Are there any brands to stay away from? I'd be replacing a W-C Headmate compact model for a household size.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our 1991 came with two sea water Jabsco electric toilets. Both still work. Aft cabin gets more of a workout than the other. A bit noisy when running during their brief operation, but they do the job well. Neither have had any repairs since we took possession in 2002. Granddaughter tried to flush a wet/wipe in the forward cabin several years ago. Took awhile to finally chew that sucker up and send the bowl contents on their way.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Scott, the vast majority of responses are from owners of 40'+ boats. I have not checked but presumably they have large holding tanks. Do you have any information/concerns about the amount of water an electric head uses versus a manual head? I ask because the holding tank in a MH33 is minuscule (15 gal) and I often wondered if electric heads would extend or reduce the need for pumpouts.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
By comparison my Hunter 386 had a 35 gallon holding tank (just the right size) and my Hunter 46 has a 30 gallon forward and 20 gallon midship holding tank.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
Scott, the vast majority of responses are from owners of 40'+ boats. I have not checked but presumably they have large holding tanks. Do you have any information/concerns about the amount of water an electricplain too small imho head uses versus a manual head? I ask because the holding tank in a MH33 is minuscule (15 gal) and I often wondered if electric heads would extend or reduce the need for pumpouts.
I had one on our MH 33. Loved it for all the above reasons. That dang holding tank is just too small imho. I actually think the electric used less water than the manual if you were careful.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I installed the Raritan Sea Era sea water version about 6-7 years ago. I just replaced the joker valve last year. My experience shows much less maintenance thatn the OEM Jabsco manual toilet and also less water usage. I think it uses less water because it macerates as it flushes so the waste goes down quicker eliminating extensive pumping to flush. As others said it is easy for guests as well as for us. We have a 22 gallon holding tank and we get four days between pump-outs for just the two of us. My forward head is the OEM Jabsco and I haven't replaced it because it sees very little use each season. As for power consumption, it does draw 15-20A while running, but that is for typically 5 seconds. For you math geeks that is about 1/3 of an AH per flush. Pretty minimal consumption, maybe 2-3 AH per day.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
We have an electric toilet in our head, but not in the guest head. It is way too easy for a guest to clog up an electric head to the point it cannot be repaired on the charter, whereas with a manual head this is not as easily accomplished.
I understand that this is a bit inconvenient for our guests, but not nearly as much as having to use our head for the duration of their charter.

Dec 29, 2008
Treworgy 65' LOA Custom Steel Pilothouse Staysail Ketch St. Croix, Virgin Islands
Our boat had two Baby Blake manual heads when we bought her 17 years ago. We removed them and installed a VacuFlush electronic head in 2012. The boat also had an absurd 5 gallon black water holding tank. When we ungraded then head, we installed a 20 Chaplin holding tank. The VacuFlush is a fresh water system, but it requires very little water to flush. It also macerates. As others have noted about other electric toilets, the vacuum pump and macerater is a bit loud, but isn’t that noticeable outside of the head. This past season we did have to replace the joker valves in the pump, which was a relatively easy task compared to many tasks on a sailboat. I’d have to say I’m pleased with the system, and would do it again. Wondering what the market is for used Baby Blakes...

Jul 18, 2014
Hunter 34 Sydney
My 1985 H34 came with a Lectra-San toilet when I bought her five years ago. No idea how many years from from new. Works flawlessly, simple system in saltwater - no need to have a salt feed as in fresh water. The two-stage hydrochloric acid (from the salt and electricity) process and maceration take care of any solids and bacteria to the point of being benign.

Only two hitches:
1. If in brackish water like some river deltas or marinas with low tidal sweep, and the salt content of the water is insufficient to register, the system will not work at all, showing a low-salt warning light. On a single-head boat, that's a concern! Thankfully, this does not happen often.
2. Finding a bowl cleaner that does not harm the electrodes when flushed is a challenge. I am sure many electrodes have been short-lived due to sailors using their 'normal' stuff. Check with Raritan for what's recommended.

Apart from that, a perfect unit. Highly recommended.

Aug 27, 2015
Cal 2-46 Whitianga. New Zealand
we have used TMC electric toilets for over thirty years. Almost zero problems. Current boat has two units. It is very important to make sure guests know to only put in the toilet what you have eaten or drunk. Or toilet paper. No baby wipes or paper towel.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
our 1995 boat came with the jabsco electric head which woke up anyone in the v berth any time anyone actually used the electric flush. . we replaced it with a manual.

Oct 26, 2008
Why are they noisy? Is it because of macerator? 99.9% of flushes on our boat are for #1 and I don't think we need a macerator, if that were to be an option … but it doesn't seem like it is. We usually don't flush overnight so noise wouldn't be an issue, normally. The electric toilet on @Ward H Catalina 30 didn't seem noisy to me.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Why are they noisy? Is it because of macerator? 99.9% of flushes on our boat are for #1 and I don't think we need a macerator, if that were to be an option … but it doesn't seem like it is.
On the Raritan Sea Era the motor is a dual shaft- it runs the input pump for seawater and the macerator at the same time. Yes it is a bit noisy, but only for a few seconds.