Electric start Merc has alternator?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 4, 2009
Oday 25 Olympia
Can anyone tell me if a 10 year old Merc 9.9, 2-cycle with an electric start has an alternator as standard equipment? The starting motor has what looks like a 'bendix' which engages only when getting power and then disengages when the engine starts. Nothing else looks like an alternator to me.
Thank you, Geohan

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
On many engines the alternator is built into and under the flywheel. With magnets imbedded in the flywheel and the coills arranged inside the rim. Nothing shows on the outside except a few wires.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
You can measure battery voltage with the engine off and with it running at about half throttle. If the voltage with the engine running is about 1 volt or more higher, it has an alternator in it. Use a digital voltmeter so it is easy to see. (yeah, I am a Simpson 260 guy too but digitals are generally easier to see one volt on)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Yes...... probably a 5 amp magneto style, as Ross mentioned... call your local service center for specific info on that model.

Oct 31, 2009
Islander 28 Blaine, Wa.
I used to own that very engine. Yes, it has one of the built-in variety although I think mine was more of an elaborate magneto with a controller rather than an alternator with a field windings. It was a retrofit to the original engine as part of the Mercury starter kit. ALWAYS have a battery connected while running the engine or it does terrible things to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.