Electric powered Dink?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
removehtml]Anyone have a reccommendation as which 12 volt outboard works well on a 8.5' inflatable boat (has the air Floor)? Intended use in semi protected area, no large waves but is open to a bay!Error: Error: expected [/URL], but found [/removehtml] instead[/removehtml]

B

Benny

Open to a bay may mean is open to wind and

current. My biggest concern would be that the motor has enough thrust to push through wind and current and prevent being carried out to the open bay. I find that inflatables require more umph from their motors than hard shelled dinguies. Depending on use range would be another consideration. I prefer the old standart, a gas powered two stroke 3hp outboard. Weighs in at 28 lbs with self contained gas tank. The newer elctrics have lighter batteries making them convenient but pricey. I would only consider them in places were gas engines are outlawed. Sorry can not provide specifics on any models but offer these comments as food for thought.

Mar 28, 2007
Oday 23 Anna Maria Isl.
imagine the possibilities

With these new flexible solar panels. It is only a matter of time before they are built into the fabric of an inflatable. They could provide sun protection to the fabric and charge motor battery. I would get one.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Check out the specs.

Check out the specs on run time with a load. You can purchase a gas model and fill it with fuel for 20 yrs and never spend that much money for what you get!

DaveW

Jul 16, 2007
Catalina 27 Antioch, CA
TORQEEDO

Check out the TORQEEDO, now sold at West Marine. Should have good resale value.

Jim

May 21, 2007
Catalina 36 MK II NJ
I would get a gas engine

cheaper and easy to plane off. They might be lighter too.

John

Jun 3, 2006
Catalina 36mkII Alameda CA
Torqeedo

Practical Sailor did a review of that motor a few months ago. It sounded pretty good except that evidently the battery won't take you very far. Other than that, it seems like a great little motor.

H

HAL

motor

Zodiac 240, Motorguide 30lb thrust battery 35ahr AGM. The motor and battery cost around $100 each. Silent, fun, no fume, zero carbon.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 34 Forked River, NJ
My reason was

not in the posting, I have a 13 year old grandson who will use the dink, he has passed his licence requirement for NJ, but he cannot operate a gas powered, 8.5 foot dink! Only 10 ft or more!

Apr 21, 2006
Macgregor 26X Pirates Cove, Alabama
TOO LITTLE, TOO LIGHT

A semi-protected area might not provide sufficient safety margin, should a sudden squall come up, or wind change. Then your 12v might prove inadequate. I would stay close to ,or within wading distance to a safe shore.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
Another Suggestion

I have a hard dingy that I tow behind my Catalina 30. I like the setup of towing it and I don't care that it slows me down, very slightly. I have an Island Hopper 2.5 HP outboard for it. The outboard is, litterly, an overbuilt weedeater. It works fine, uses little fuel, has very little upkeep, and it is only about 22 pounds (nice for taking on and off of the stern rail of my boat without a crain. I would definately reccomend it, the price isn't bad either.

Status
Not open for further replies.