Electric Panel Gizmos

Jan 15, 2014
Morgan 323 Portland
Imagine you have a blank, brand new Blue Sea Systems 360 degree panel. Other than the obvious circuit breakers which gadgets, gizmos and monitors would you put on it?
[1984 Morgan 323 sailboat].

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Digital ammeter, digital volt meter, ELCI for the AC side, and LED indicator lights.

If there is a small light that can light the panel, that is helpful when trying to locate the light switch in the middle of the night.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Digital ammeter, digital volt meter, ELCI for the AC side, and LED indicator lights.

If there is a small light that can light the panel, that is helpful when trying to locate the light switch in the middle of the night.
Any reason to prefer digital? For meters, I tend to like the needles! I would include the battery monitor, for sure, which provides voltage and current for the DC side. I would have the analog meters for the AC side. No need for meters on the DC side (with the battery monitor). I put tank gauges on my panel, put not sure if the 360 panel accommodates. I would include the indicator light for Blue Sea ACR. I might also include a USB charging port on the panel if I don't have another convenient location.

Jan 11, 2014
Any reason to prefer digital?
The analog meters are just not precise enough. Redunancy is good too. The panel meter will read the voltage at the panel while a SmartGuage or Victron will measure the voltage at the battery. Comparing the 2 readings will give you an idea of how much line loss there is from the battery to panel.

Jan 11, 2014
Any reason to prefer digital?
The analog meters are just not precise enough. Redunancy is good too. The panel meter will read the voltage at the panel while a SmartGuage or Victron will measure the voltage at the battery. Comparing the 2 readings will give you an idea of how much line loss there is from the battery to panel.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
True about the redundancy. I did connect a digital volt meter on Thunderbird, not located on the panel but on another cabinet that I could switch on and off. Always about .1 volts less than the monitor.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Digital meters also provide more resolution than you can see with your eye on a needle, analog meter movements tend to stick. No one still uses analog in industry unless they are tuning something. Ease of accurate readings are the main reason. Also, a digital meter is way easier to manufacture than a decent quality analog one and therefore a better buy.
Ken

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have an AC ammeter that measures total current from my genset or current from my primary shore power connector. I use it to shed loads as required to stay within the genset output capacity and the 30A CB for the main AC circuits.

Normally my genset will power up everything simultaneously but if my wife wants to us a hair dryer, I need to shut off something so that the breakers don't trip. The water heater is typically the load I shed.

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I am not sure about the relevance of an Ammeter on a panel. Or for that matter even a volt meter. Sure they look pretty and when you first start to interact with the panel they are interesting to see light up and change the numbers, but from then on the voltage drop from the battery to the panel should be a constant. And they consume a fair bit of space
Normally my genset will power up everything simultaneously but if my wife wants to us a hair dryer, I need to shut off something so that the breakers don't trip. The water heater is typically the load I shed.
And once or twice you experience a power loss on the hair dryer, turning off the usual suspect loads would be the same.

Now having a SG200 Balmar or a Victron BVM702 battery monitor makes sense. Their essential function is to calculate ampere hours consumed and the state of charge of a battery.You are getting new data on the battery health on a constant bases. I would definitely explore their inclusion on the system.

Save the space on the 360 panel for switches and the "ELCI for the AC side, and LED indicator lights" mentioned by @dlochner

Jan 11, 2014
I am not sure about the relevance of an Ammeter on a panel. Or for that matter even a volt meter. Sure they look pretty and when you first start to interact with the panel they are interesting to see light up and change the numbers, but from then on the voltage drop from the battery to the panel should be a constant. And they consume a fair bit of space
Have you tried to read the numbers on a Victron Battery Monitor? Those Blue Sea digital gauges have nice large numbers so old guys can read them without having to squint or find their readers. :biggrin:

• Ha

jssailem

SBO Weather and Forecasting Forum Jim & John
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mine lights up and makes the numbers easy too read. The challenge is in knowing what the coded messages are telling me.:biggrin:
1611525405752.png

I need a cheat sheet.... You can always use your phone to take a picture and blow it up.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
It’s a guess on tenths with the scale of the Blue Sea analog gauge. I’d like to switch my amp meter to digital but there are expensive .