Electric oil change pump

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Herrington South, MD
I'm on my xth blue hand pump oil changer. The last time was exhausting even though the oil was hot. So I bought one of the cheap $30 12v oil pumps. Trying it out on my old sport car with cool 5w30 oil and watched as oil moved up the tube about an inch every minute or so. I see a few more expensive pumps $75-100. Has anyone tried these?

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I had a 12 volt none impeller pump but after a few years it stopped working so got a used blue can hand
Pump and it does the job but really did like the 12 volt pump.
nick

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I’ve been using a drill powered pump the last few years. Works quickly and reliably so far. The only downside is that it takes one hand to run the drill and one to keep the output pump in a jug, making it tricky to hold the pump steady against the torque of the drill.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have one of the blue metal cans with the pump to pull a vacuum. My issues with this pump is that the gaskets leak or the pump itself looses its ability to seal and does not pull a good vacuum. Replacing the pump assemble for $15-20 cured the problem.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I use a pneumatic oil extractor, pump 3-4 times and watch the vacuum pull the oil out. I change my oil once a year and have used this extractor without problems for the last 7 years. Purchased a quality unit from the beginning and have not been disappointed.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
I’ve been using a drill powered pump the last few years. Works quickly and reliably so far. The only downside is that it takes one hand to run the drill and one to keep the output pump in a jug, making it tricky to hold the pump steady against the torque of the drill.
What brand/model are you using? The one's I've tried aren't self priming

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Use this with great results. Bought a second for my power tools at home.

That's the one I use too.

Practical Sailor has evaluated them over the years

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I use the cheapo 12v pump and have had no problems. Will buy another when it goes.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I had the West Marine type referenced in post # 4 and it worked great. It was not exhausting and you move the end around in the crankcase to get the crankcase pretty much empty. Hose fits in the dipstick channel. You could do a very nearly drip less evacuation.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
I have one of the blue metal cans with the pump to pull a vacuum. My issues with this pump is that the gaskets leak or the pump itself looses its ability to seal and does not pull a good vacuum. Replacing the pump assemble for $15-20 cured the problem.
Maybe you could oil the pump. :biggrin:

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The one primary requirement I have for an oil extractor is that it be as much mess proof as possible. If I have to hand hold a little tube into a bottle, I don't want it.