Electric head on 340

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 340 SF Bay
I have a 2001 H340 with an electric head. Not sure what model so I have attached a photo. Can you anyone help with the following questions:
- What make and model is this?
- Can I convert this from salt water to fresh water?
- Is pressurized OK from a "T" off the cold water under the sink or do I need to run it directly from the tank?
Thanks!

Attachments

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum!!

You can convert a raw water toilet to fresh water toilet but make sure the toilet is specifically designed for pressurized freshwater like the Raritan Elegance. I recently replaced 2 electric raw water toilets to Raritan Elegance electric fresh water toilets with water supplied from the head sink cold water supply with a tee and valve.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Your toilet is a Raritan pH II that seems to be missing its pump handle...The PH SuperFlush is the current version but the only thing that's changed is the base...the mounting bolt pattern now matches that of every other manual toilet. Raritan PH SuperFlush

It's not designed to be connected to the boat's fresh water system--no toilet designed to use sea water is-- and cannot be done with risk of contaminating the potable water supply and/or damage to the toilet pump, but you can replace it with a toilet designed to use pressurized fresh water (All toilets designed to use fresh water use pressurized water.) The Raritan Marine Elegance Raritan Marine_Elegance Promo.pdf is designed to use fresh water is and is the top rated electric macerating toilet. Right behind it is the fresh water version of the Raritan SeaEra...top rated in its class. Raritan SeaEra Promo Sheet

The Raritan Fresh Head FRESH_HEAD Promo Sheet is the ONLY manual toilet designed to pressurized fresh water.

--Peggie

Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 340 SF Bay
Peggy, just to clarify, are you saying the mounting bolts on our toilet (Raritan Ph II) will or will not match the pattern of the other Raritan toilets mentioned?

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Except for Raritan's own Fresh Head, they only match the mounting bolt pattern on MANUAL toilets from other mfrs.

Btw...after looking at your photo more closely, it appears that the pump handle is missing because a PO has added an electric motor (the "box" under the side of the bowl), converting it into a PHE II. If it doesn't work, count your blessings, but the motor only replaces the pump HANDLE...it's still the same manual pump. The motor uses a much shorter faster pump stroke, causing it to "choke" on flushes that slower more deliberate pumping by hand can easily push through. Raritan only offers it because some sailors want the "push button convenience" of electric but with the ability to convert back to manual in the event of a catastrophic power failure. It apparently never occurs to 'em that if there isn't even enough power to flush a toilet, they have a lot more to worry about than that--no navigation, no communication, no steerage, no lights...but they do still have a bucket and a long line!

--Peggie

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2021
Hunter 340 SF Bay
Thanks Peggy. I think we are going to move to the manual Fresh Head. By the way, I downloaded your book a few days ago. Just browsed a bit but it looks great. Thanks!

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Good choice!

Don't just toss the PHII pump ..someone will want it 'cuz it's consistently been the top rated manual toilet pump since Raritan introduced it in 1983. It moves twice as much bowl content in half the pump strokes of any other toilet and can easily provide 20+ years of reliable trouble-free service if it's just kept well lubricated and is rebuilt every 5-6 year (kit is about $60). With a list price of $310 and an average selling price of $200, you should easily be able to get $100-150 for it on Craigs List if you include my description in your ad.

Thanks for buying my book...I think you'll find it useful!

--Peggie