Electric Head not working

Aug 15, 2021
Hunter 41DS NJ
I have a hunter 41DS sailboat with a Jabsco electric forward head that is not working at all. No water flow or running motor. Switch was replaced and wiring connections look good. Looking for troubleshooting advice. Thx

Bob R

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have a hunter 41DS sailboat with a Jabsco electric forward head that is not working at all. No water flow or running motor. Switch was replaced and wiring connections look good. Looking for troubleshooting advice. Thx

Bob R
Can you check for voltage at any wire terminals? If the problem is with both the water flow and pump then it seems like it’s more than one component, which makes an electrical problem more likely.

Aug 15, 2021
Hunter 41DS NJ
I did try testing the motor with a volt meter but did not get any reading. Breaker was on but not sure if that matters. thx

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Which model Jabsco toilet do you have? How old is it?

Btw, to test for voltage, you need to put the volt meter on it while flushing....which would require the breaker to be on.

--Peggie

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
At least one side of the switch should have voltage at all times (whenever the breaker is on anyway). The other side, and things like the motor, should have voltage only when the switch is on.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Bob. both our original 1991 Jabsco toilets still work well, albeit a bit noisy while flushing. We've had some minor issues with them over the years mostly due to foreign materials, such as a wet wipe, clogged discharge hose or way too much TP. When we first purchased our boat in 2002 I was in the process of trouble shooting a problem that turned out to be.a clogged tank vent. During that time I removed the aft cabin toilet macerator pump motor and verified that it was working just fine. While doing that I learned much about how the system works, its condition and product quality. Perhaps you should do the same just to make sure that all the components work as designed. It could be something simple, or a frozen motor, or something that has jammed the macerator impeller. Hard to say unless you check it out.

We're very satisfied with our Jabsco electric sea water toilets. They always do the job as designed. I do have a spare macerator pump motor in the event one fails. Someday they may stop, but until then sail on.