Electric cooling unit

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andrew Brayshaw

I'm about to install an 12v cooling unit in the ice box on my 34 but I would welcome a little advise before I buy. I live and sail in the Med where the summer months are HOT but winter brings frost on deck so which ever unit I buy has to work well in a variety of conditions. Isotherm is a popular make over here and they produce 2 units that are suitable for a box of 200 - 225ltr - 1 with a fan cooled motor and the other sea water cooled. I carry 3 100ah batteries linked to an AirX wind generator and 15w solar panel so I think I've enough power for a fan cooled unit. What I would like to know is if the electric fan cooled units are as efficient as the sea water cooled. Its another $400 for the sea water cooled and it involves removing the thru hull for the sink drain, enlarging it and fitting a special fitting which is obviously time consuming and will cost. Also can anyone recommend or has anyone ftted any other makes. Also have I worked out the box volume right at 218ltr? Any info would be much appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.