Electrasan odor question

Sep 25, 2008
Macgregor & Island Packet VENTURE 25 & IP-38 NORTH EAST, MD
I have noticed a distinct odor in the area of my boat where the electrasan unit is after flushing the head. Last winter I replaced the head and all the hoses, thinking they were the problem. There is no liquid leaking anywhere. I am thinking maybe a shaft seal on one of the motors is allowing the foul air to pass by? Do these units need rebuilding every now and then and is this a common problem. Thanks for your input.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I suspect that the electrode pack has failed...it's not treating any more. That can happen if it's not getting enough salt, which is likely if you're not adding salt to each flush 'cuz the upper Bay is brackish...salinity isn't nearly high enough. It can also happen if the electrodes aren't cleaned regularly to remove sea water mineral build on them. That doesn't require taking anything apart...owners manual has instructions.
Those are my "armchair" possibilities. Give Jerry in Raritan tech support a call for his troubleshooting recommendations: 800-352-5630 x 236. He's at the Annapolis Sailboat through Monday...if you go to the show, you can talk to him there.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Following on what Peggie said...

If the problem is intermittent, and if it just started again recently, is it possible that the inrush of freshwater from the recent heavy rains dropped the salinity in your area below the threshold? We had a very dry summer, salt levels were higher, and perhaps there was enough. Now there isn't. Chesapeake salinity is quite variable by season and location.

Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for your thoughts. I did talk to Jerry at the boat show today. He thinks one of the shaft seals are leaking air, which can be caused by pumping the head with the exit seacock closed. It's not a salt or electrode problem as this wouldn't cause an odor issue, and I have no red lights on in the control panel.

Sep 25, 2008
Thank you for all your input to this site and trying to solve our problems.

Oct 29, 2006
Beneteau 381 Olympia, WA
Was that the final verdict for your odor issue? We also have electrosan and not experienced this problem but I'm curious to hear others experiences. Thru hull discipline is definitely something the entire family practice when using our head since its electric flush, I'm sure all kinds of stuff can burn/break if run with thru hulls closed and a user just keep hitting the button. I'd also suspect the vented loop fitting might give off odor..

Sep 25, 2008
Won't know if that was the fix until the spring (after i reseal the whole unit) when my boat is recommissioned. The vented loop is in my head area (and is a new bronze one), and no odor is in there.