Edson Steering Wheel Brake

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
This may belong into the knowledge base but leave it up to others to decide.

While taking off the top of the pedestal to install a guard (see thread: Pedestal Guard Installation) I was considering having a steering brake too.

Contacting Edson I was told it would not work with my Hunter stock installed pedestal. This seemed to be confusing since other forum users (including Crazy Dave) insured me to have installed some or have one on these pedestals.

The H260 installed pedestal is a 336 (Edson 300 series for boats from 22' to 42'). After another round of discussions with sending new pictures to Edson became it clear to me why the confusion; there are two kinds of brakes.

1. Side Brake.
If the pedestal has on the starboard side a hole with a removable plug, that's the place a side brake can be installed. The brake works via a knob, when turned it chokes the shaft of the wheel and makes it difficult for the wheel to turn.

2. Shaft Brake.
If the pedestal doesn't have that side hole, a shaft brake maybe possible to install. When removing the nut in front of the wheel you may see a hole drilled all the way through the shaft. If not, you have to buy a drilled through shaft first ($290).
As brake a rod, going through the shaft, will be installed. On front of the rod (where before the wheel nut was) is now also a knob. Turning the knob will shift the rod forward to a pin blocking the wheel from turning.

Picture 1 shows my pedestal with no hole and no plug (no side brake can be installed).
Picture 2 shows my wheel shaft, there is no drilled through only a pilot hole.

The only way in my case is to replace pedestal (for a side brake) or replacing the shaft (for a shaft brake). Since the shaft is cheaper to replace and also the shaft brake superior to the side brake is, I decided to buy a new drilled through shaft and the shaft brake.

Attachment 1 shows the side brake, attachment 2 the shaft brake.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Thanks for the info. I just wish I knew enough about my boat to understand all of this. I've considered adding a pedestal guard but haven't even thought about a wheel brake. My First Mate will not be happy with you for adding another item to my list of things to want.

Jan 18, 2014
Kermit,
Maybe she agrees when she sees it as a security issue. I was sailing and had to go only for a very short moment in the cabin to grab something. The steering wheel turned and I came in sweat to get the boat back on curse; wished I could have locked the wheel. I rather spend the money think it helps in such situations. Made my decision and install a brake. Check your hardware situation maybe you come along cheaper.
Hart

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Thank you Regular Guy for the information. Generally the wheel pedestal installed at the factory was the style used with the brake on the starboard. If you see a grey or white plastic plug on the side, then you have that pedestal which Hunter installed. Regular Guy did not have and I feel that his wheel steering was after market on his boat which takes the other kind. Thank you again for bringing this to light sir and as always, feel free to call anytime. As always, your information is and will be kept private as I adhere religiously too

crazy dave

Oct 25, 2011
Island Packet IP31 Lake St. Louis, Montreal
Regular Guy

Just curious, is there any reason you could not drill the required holde in the existing shaft, either at a machine shop or in your basement, if you have a drill press?

Tks

Matt

Jan 18, 2014
Prepared for side- or shaft brake option?

Dave,
actually Edson confirmed that my pedestal (serial #) was delivered to Hunter. They said Hunter got several different batches (versions) of the pedestal.
My boat was bought new by the PO with wheel steering. Throttle and clutch control were added by the dealership. The Edson representative consulted their engineers and they confirmed Hunter also used early the #335 and later the #336 pedestals for the H60 and H260 but as said there were also different batches/versions.

It would be interesting whether other H26/H260 owners have on their boat a steering wheel shaft with drill-through hole or a pedestal without the pre-drilled hole on starboard.
Hart

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2014
Regular Guy

Just curious, is there any reason you could not drill the required holde in the existing shaft, either at a machine shop or in your basement, if you have a drill press?

Tks

Matt
py26129;
That would mean to drill through, I guess, maybe 9" all long the centerline of the shaft.
Probably doable. And than there is the brake pin, look at the PDF file. I do not have the machine and not the blue print to do that. Admire who can.
Hart

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Jeepers. I just found the brake on defender.com. $200. I haven't checked SBO to see if they offer them. I don't single-hand much so I doubt I'll be in the market for one anytime soon. But still, thanks for starting this thread. I'm learning more about the 260 all the time.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Hart;

I know the water ballast too well and one of the main reasons for wheel steering offered on the 260, I kept telling them it would be a great marketing tool to redesign the 26 to accommodate for wheel steering as it would sell boats and that it did. All the boats that came to me only had the option for the wheel brake on the side of the pedestal. I believe I purchased close to 20 to 25% of the production line and that was the only wheel it came in that style which is why I felt the wheel could have been added after market. It could have been a mistake at Hunter but anyway, the main thing, you will have a wheel brake.

Jan 18, 2014
Brake first.

Dave;
I am looking forward to get the parts delivered, it keeps me from finishing the pedestal guard installation. The steering cables have to come off to replace the shaft. At that time I will clean and lubricate the steering and motor control mechanics.
Yes, I am looking forward getting the brake. When the steering and brake mechanism are re-installed I can continue with the guard and the wiring for the navigation devices.
Hart

Jan 18, 2014
Shaft Brake

Edson delivered the parts for the shaft brake.
This is all it is; mainly the new drilled through shaft and the rod with the knob.
That other is just mounting support. I am going to install probably Monday.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Cool beans. Let us know how the installation goes and how well the brake works.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
I had a look at what I thought was a wheel brake and what I found was a home made brake. Kinda cool, nice design but it failed. I am going to tinker and hopefully improve on the design. I have some ideas and I'm confident it will work just fine.

Here are some pics that may shed some light on this contraption. In principle it works like the Edson brake. This one broke in the threaded area of the eye bolt where it would cinch the brake pads to the wheel shaft. The brake pads are modified plumbing fittings. There is also a thin piece of something (plastic) that sits on the shaft where the pads bite down (protects the shaft from the cast pad material. You can see it as a grey material in Pic#1). With a series of double nuts, when you turn the eye bolt it cinches the brake pads like a vice. I assume the previous owner saw the price of the Edson parts and decided to mimic it with his own unique design.

Closer examination of the eye bolt failure, looks like it was over tightened and it fractured (showed in Pic#2).

Pic #3 shows what was used in place of the brake knob; a welded eye bolt.
Pic #2 shows the entire assembly removed from the pedestal.
Pic #1 shows how it sits on the shaft in the Pedestal.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
shanker;
It will be hard to turn by hand with the eyebolt to obtain enough friction, I have seen that done before. good luck

Jan 18, 2014
Finished shaft brake installation

Here my report about the installing of the shaft brake. The removal of the old shaft went a little different as described in the Edson brochure, previously posted. I had to drill out a pin, which wouldn't come out otherwise (pic #1). New shaft (pic #2).
The new shaft was actually easily to install, following the pamphlet. Here is how the brake functioned (pic #3): When the brake-knob on the right is turned (inside thread) it shifts a rod through inside the shaft and pushes the aluminum ring (pin goes through the shaft) with glued-on brake pad against the brake bracket, left, the friction stops the shaft from turning .
It works just fine.
By working on that project I realized that the cable leading sheaves underneath the pedestal (pic #4) were sized. Even with lots of WD 40 it was not possible to loosen them up and working on the sheaves from underneath (even with access port) was very difficult. I had to remove the pedestal to have better access to the sheaves. I removed; steel brushed and cleaned also the two other sheaves under the helm seat thoroughly, lubricated them and put all back together (pic #5). My steering runs now on the little finger (with rudder up).
Now I can continue working on the installation of the pedestal guard and wiring the navigation devices.

Attachments

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
Thanks for posting the pictures. I hope to mount a gps on the pedestal. Having an idea of what I'll be dealing with will help a lot.

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Regular Guy,

Great install. Just like doing a reno on a house, once you start there always seems to be another issue come up. Surprised that you needed a wheel brake with the pulley seized up :) . Great job.

Jan 18, 2014
Seized sheaves

Regular Guy,

Great install. Just like doing a reno on a house, once you start there always seems to be another issue come up. Surprised that you needed a wheel brake with the pulley seized up :) . Great job.
Thanks, shanker. Good luck on your house project. I am about through with that, but actually it will never really end.
Yes, you wonder how the steering could have worked with seized sheaves. The cable had so much slack, just slipped in the tracks. When I take her out again maybe I will having a total new steering experience.
Hart

Jan 18, 2014
Just for completion I have posted a picture of the final look of the shaft brake. Edson forgot to put a nut into the brake kit to hold the steering wheel to the shaft. I finally could finish the project. The picture shows the knob on the steering wheel, when turning to the right, it applies the (internal) brake friction to the wheel. It works well.

Attachments