Edson steering components

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
I had a failure of steering recently while motoring back to the slip. 1986 Catalina 30 TR. Edson wheel steering. The back half of a nylon cable guide snapped off and wedged against the quadrant and scupper drain preventing full range turning the wheel. Excitement ensued.....
Here's the pics:

In the last two pics you can see the failed piece center of the frame. Just above my hand in the last pic.

I found this drawing online, but it doesn't identify the part. At least I don't recognize it:

Does anyone know the name or part number of a replacement? I temporarily zip tied the failed part to the metal frame to keep it from floating around and winding up in the mechanism. I would really like to replace it on both sides for a permanent fix.

Thanks in advance for the help!

KBG

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Call Edson -- send them the info, I'd expect you'll have what you need if its still made ASAP.
  • (508) 995-9711 -- East Coast time, now.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dunno.. The drawing doesn't look like what you have.. but yes.. get with Edson and send them the pictures..

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
My 1984 Catalina 36 originally had the same setup, using the guide tubes as yours has. Mine broke, too, but didn't prevent steering. I researched it and learned that the installation was outside of the Edson operating specifications for that system, because Catalina was using too-tight a bend radius.

I replaced the tubes by installing an Edson idler assembly, which bolts to the bottom of the pedestal via the pedestal mounting bolts. This required re-positioning the radial drive wheel on the rudder post. The cable guide related bracket was removed.

This made the steering feel much lighter.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I replaced the tubes by installing an Edson idler assembly, which bolts to the bottom of the pedestal via the pedestal mounting bolts. This required re-positioning the radial drive wheel on the rudder post. The cable guide related bracket was removed.
@jviss I would be interested to see a parts list and photos of what you did. I'm guessing you're talking about this:
https://edsonmarine.com/adjustable-compact-idler-4-aluminum-sheave/
I have always thought the wheel was a little "stiff" in steering from the friction of the conduits. Plus, lubricating the wire is much more difficult in the conduit. Sounds like you improved steering performance and removed some points of failure.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I confess I don't have a parts list or any pics of what I did. Sorry! But yes, the link you shared is pretty much the part I used.

I recommend you call Edson, they are very helpful.

jv

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
I received the replacement part:

The repair was easy. Took about 2 hours and the steering is MUCH improved. This must have been an issue back when I bought the boat in May. I might consider removing the conduit and switching to cross wire idlers. Catalina made this change starting in 87' models and newer. Cost is $452 plus shipping for idler part. Source is here:
https://www.catalinadirect.com/inde...estal-steering-cross-wire-idler-c-28-c-30.cfm

That's about the same as replacing both conduits and four end fittings. This is on the list for the pedestal steering rebuild project.

KBG

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
I recommend contacting Edson directly for the part, instead of CD. They have superb customer service, and might offer advice, etc., comment on whether the part is correct what else you might need - like replacement pedestal bolts, the rare, aluminum ones Edson makes, etc.