Edson steering chain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
lHi Guys,
I have been remiss in not mentioning this eariler. The chain section of the Edson steering system supplied on my boat was two inches shorter that it should be. It enables the thimble and Nicro press fitting to come into contact with the teeth on the wheel drive sprocket which slowly cuts the steering cable. This resulted in a steering loss on Midnight Sun at a very bad time. (is there a good time?) All it takes to correct it is to get the next longer length of chain from Edson.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Oh great, another thing to check. I have had the binnacle apart so many times that I have no idea where north is. Maybe you just don't have the rudder stops in the right place. :)

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
I don't think you need to purchase the chain from Edson. Try Motion Industries. They have offices all over the country. Take you old chain and I believe that they can match it for you.

No idea of the price, but you will probably get enough to do it twice for about 1/3 the price from Edson.

Dec 2, 2003
Hunter 376 Warsash, England --
Anybody tried stainless chain? My compass is far too near for comfort.
I also changed the Raymarine Autopilot Sprocket for a non magnetic stainless one.

Nov 6, 2009
Hunter 37 FL
It's me, not Mary. Bill

lHi Guys,
I have been remiss in not mentioning this eariler. The chain section of the Edson steering system supplied on my boat was two inches shorter that it should be. It enables the thimble and Nicro press fitting to come into contact with the teeth on the wheel drive sprocket which slowly cuts the steering cable.
Good info. Thanks. Will check ours when I get back from the boat show and start opening pedestal up to install blankey blank 2000 network cable for wind speed wind direction.

Last edited:
Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 27_75-84 Mayo, MD
The same thing happened to me, and it wasn't the length of the chain per se that was the issue. The rudder and the chain must be centered when placed on the sprocket or the chain will roll up one side. (it's wearing on only one side, right?)
Check the chain size before you order. When I contacted Edson (my pedestal is actually Yacht Specialties) they no longer carried the appropriate size (type 504 maybe???) for my H27. I had the chain/cable assembly made up at a local yard while I waited for $100. Be careful when you replace it and make sure that the cables aren't crossed/rubbing inside the pedestal.
Best of luck,
Tom
PS: Don't know how you got home steering-wise, but I ended up standing up in the rear lazarette with my feet on the quadrant and steered with my feet. It was blowing pretty good (which is probably part of why it broke in the first place) and this method worked well since I could see forward with no problem.

lHi Guys,
I have been remiss in not mentioning this eariler. The chain section of the Edson steering system supplied on my boat was two inches shorter that it should be. It enables the thimble and Nicro press fitting to come into contact with the teeth on the wheel drive sprocket which slowly cuts the steering cable. This resulted in a steering loss on Midnight Sun at a very bad time. (is there a good time?) All it takes to correct it is to get the next longer length of chain from Edson.

Status
Not open for further replies.