Edson Pedestal Reinforcement

Dec 16, 2019
Catalina Catalina 30 Chelsea, NY
I recently acquired a 1985 Catalina 30 with a pull-pull setup (probably original equipment). I have a question regarding the current installation because I notice the pedestal a little wobbly. Upon inspection I notice that the installation of the bracket under the floorboard does not contact the floor and is offset by four inner bolts resulting in a gap between the floor and the bracket. Please see the photos here:

Edson Pull-Pull

I wonder if I can remove this quarter inch gap by removing the inner bolts? Removing the gap would re-distribute the load from just the four points established by the four bolts to the entire area of the bracket surface. Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I think your observation is correct, Mr Jack. The only thing is the upward turning piece of the flange that sticks up into the base.. If there is room to move that feature, I believe that the additional support of the plate against the deck underside would help.. ya may want to put the second nuts on the bolts as well so that you can jam them together (after tightening the plate up), locking the bolts securely ..

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like the bracket holds the ends of the conduit, which means moving it up may not be possible without a good bit of adjustment on the end at the steering sector..
YA may have to cut a 3/4" reinforcement spacer plate out of marine ply and bond it to the underside of the cockpit then put the plate on that. The Edson instructions tend to lead ya that way..

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That plate only holds the ends of the pull pull conduits and doesn’t support the pedestal. The nuts under it do hold the pedestal to the deck. You should check the condition of the core material around the pedestal it may be rotted