Edson Pedestal Collar

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
I was attempting to mount a pedestal guard to my '92 Hunter 335 only to realize it cannot be mounted on the cockpit sole. I looked around and found similar boats using what appeared to be a collar that bolts into the pedestal itself and which the guard slides into. Does anyone have a link to where I can buy one of these collars?

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Probably need to see some photos of your current set up and what you bought.

My pedestal guard mounts on the cockpit sole, but in little “cups”. The posts sit in the cups.

Greg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
IF it's from Edson, call them!

I'm pretty sure they'll solve your problem.

Below is a picture of a sister ship to your Hunter 33.5 (I believe)

1568331927218.png

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
Edson Pedestal Guard Kit includes:
  • Stainless Guard Pipe
  • Top Plate
  • Mounting Feet
I think you are looking for the "feet" Did the guard come as a kit?

Attachments

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
Nope - SG has it in the picture. Unfortunately the link doesn't work for me. I bought the kit but the "feet" can't be anchored as the headliner of the boat is fiberglass. So there's this collar that most 335's mount about 8" off the sole on the pedestal and slide the feet into. I can't find the part for the life of me.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Did you call Edson? As Tally Ho suggested, a picture with some "arrows" on it would help Edson point you in the right direct.

It's been a few years, but they have a "big attic" ;^))).

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
You probably do not need to thru-bolt the feet. Properly installed sheetmetal screws should work. If you are running wires or cables in the guards you will have a problem.

calvin

Jul 30, 2019
Hunter 335 Port Orchard
Why do you want to add a new guard in place of the one that's already there? If you're trying to install instruments then there are other options. I was thinking I'd have to replace the guard at first as well (so I could get a sea pod on or something), but ended up using one of these at the top of the existing guard.

I cut and stained a nice piece of ash to go on top and then mounted my MFD there. The power line for the MFD goes down through the pedestal to the steering quadrant and then on into the aft lazarette at the same point the throttle and transmission cables go through.

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
7077315_20190510070057810_1_XLARGE.jpg
Okay - so called Edson and they don't make what Hunter used at the time. @calvin - There is no pedestal guard currently, so I'm installing net new. Still can't find the solution. It's hard to get an image. I found this on yachtworld. See how the guard curves to the pedestal? You can't go top down on the feet because they're installed bottom up. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. It's not a fully customized product as I've seen 8-10 boats with the exact same product. Trying to figure out the source

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I was on a 2006 Hunter 33 today which has the same type guard mount as you show in the above pic.
It was a Lewmar pedestal. Maybe call them.

Jan 27, 2020
Hunter 335 Kemah, TX
Is this what you are trying to do? This is on a 1990 335. I had to mount the pedestal guard to the sole in order to run NEMA2K cables down. Caution though, the core of the sole in this area is thick aluminum. Down below in the aft berth, I cut small holes in the fiberglass headliner to access the bolts for the feet and to route the wires.
72494023-B967-44D4-BFE2-D4B0A0EDF0F8.jpeg

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
That’s a clear picture. The answer to a question from almost a year ago.

A Happy Labor Day 2020 to you.

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
That's actually exactly what I was/was not trying to do. You did a great job. What's it look like from the aft berth looking up? How hellish was it cutting through the fiberglass and how'd you know where to cut? How did you determine best placement for the feet? If you have anything else to share about that project, I'd love to hear.

I wound up gluing the feet to the floor, occasionally they fly off, but the top supports it well enough and I don't have anything running through the guard yet. It just supports a table. But it looks way worse than yours.

Jan 27, 2020
Hunter 335 Kemah, TX
After drilling through the aluminum sole, I drilled a bit further with a smaller bit to know where to cut in the aft berth so I could bolt the feet in place. I cut the squares using an oscillating cutting tool. There is about an inch and a half between the headliner and the sole to run the wires. I plan on covering the holes with some teak plates.
4653EF86-0429-4EEB-83B0-9DE95D168837.jpeg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Is this what you are trying to do? This is on a 1990 335. I had to mount the pedestal guard to the sole in order to run NEMA2K cables down. Caution though, the core of the sole in this area is thick aluminum. Down below in the aft berth, I cut small holes in the fiberglass headliner to access the bolts for the feet and to route the wires.
View attachment 184641
Those are not the real "feet", but I think they are a better idea as they ARE HOLLOW FOR THE WIRING. THEY ARE PROBABLY HANDRAIL MOUNTS?
Can you just install two SS tubes from floor to the bimini arch? You'll probably want a GPS antenna up there anyways. Maybe install a backup light and your VHF speaker, too?

Sep 12, 2019
Hunter 335 Seattle
@mnmpizza Yep - that's the OEM method of doing this. Good luck trying to find that bend and support these days. I called around and sounds like the manufacturer of that component is long out of business.

@KemahSailor What @Ron20324 seems true - where'd you get the "feet"? My feet are more oblong and do have a base in them. Also, how long did it take you to do your work? And how did you defend against fiberglass getting *everywhere* while cutting in the aft berth? Finally, why do you have a hole cut aft of the support? Is it to make wire access easier? By the way, kudos, that job looks really well done.

Jan 27, 2020
Hunter 335 Kemah, TX
I can’t remember which exact feet I used but they were something like these. I used bolts to secure them to the sole instead of the little screws. The squares I cut in the ceiling of the aft berth were to access the nuts and to run the wires over to the lazarette. The hardest part was drilling through the aluminum core that is present in the pedestal area. I wore out two paddle bits and burned up a cheap Harbor Freight drill.
I‘d say the whole rail guard refit which included the new autopilot install and Axiom 7 chart plotter in the Navpods took about 20 hours. Lots of running wires to and from the electrical panel and building the NEMA2K network.

8840C3C2-E32D-4030-8F45-5F9DFBED491C.jpeg