Early Summer Cruise

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
As I mentioned in another topic, my oldest son and his two children (Cat three and Brady six) from Texas departed from Shelter Bay the morning of July 2 for Watmaugh Bay on the southeast side of Lopez Island. Our sail plan was to stay the night at anchor in Watmaugh Bay, then around Iceberg Point and up San Juan Channel the next day for Fishermans Bay on the west side of Lopez.

Swingy night at anchor in Watmaugh Bay. Strong southerly breeze spent itself by morning so we headed out after breakfast after a difficult time hauling the anchor out of a very deep mud set. Last night's blow managed to provide a well built sea state coming in from the Strait of Juan de Fuca. Then as we made the turn to follow the flood up San Juan channel another very confused and major tide rip awaited.

Whew? The two kids were fine but my son became sea sick and managed to donate his breakfast to the fish. Very unpleasant sail, but Belle-Vie delivered us safely in due course. We entered Fishermans Bay on an incoming tide state of 5.5 feet. Acceptable.

Bay loaded with boats awaiting the July fourth celebration and fireworks the next day. Dropped anchor in about ten feet of water with a front row seat to the south spit where the fireworks will be set off; touted as the third largest private display in the state.

Breeze is up again and for most of the day. Took the dinghy ashore for a fourth of fun at the farmers market, lunch at Bucky's, then a long lumpy wet ride back to Belle-Vie with a tired crew. Of all the fireworks I have watched over the years, this one was the most spectacular ever. In addition, every large report continued to reverberate around the hills behind the Bay adding to the sensation.

Destination for July 5th is Roche Harbor with a sail plan to follow the ebb south out of the channel and up the west side of San Juan Island. Set sail once we made the turn north out of the channel with a nice southerly, but against a weak tide current. No Orcas observed; bummer.

Arrived Roche Harbor for a sunny comfortable day of fun at the local playground, rinsing the salt water spray off of Belle-Vie and soaking up the local town pleasantry. Mausoleum has had some repairs done to masonry damage, but always an impressive structure.

Set sail for Friday Harbor to pick up the admiral who is taking the Anacortes ferry over to join us. Purchased some stores at Kings Market, lunch at Haleys pub, then nap time for the kids.

It has been several years since we were at the bottom of East Sound to visit the town. Nice sail up, Rosario appears busy, small dock is occupied, so drop anchor a short distance away in 25 feet of water. Well worth the stop, with many small shops to nose around in. Then a spaghetti dinner on Belle-Vie, Iron Man movie for the third time and another swingy night at anchor. Frequent anchor checks were required to make sure everyone was safe during the night.

After a difficult time getting the deep set anchor out of the mud, we're off to Rolf Bay in Matia through Obstruction Pass. We arrive late morning to one space on the dock; eureka. Kids enjoy the small heavily forested island with excellent hiking trails. We visit with Dave from Bellingham for awhile and a welcome quiet restful night.

Wind is out of the northwest the next day, so we set sail for Pelican Beach on the east side of Cypress Island arriving early afternoon. Kids get excited over seeing so many Harbor seals sun bathing on the rocky islands. The crew helps the skipper tie up to the last available mooring ball, then a short dingy row to shore for the day hiking to Duck Lake. The Admiral and Skipper stay behind to collect wood for a camp fire later to roast hot dogs for dinner. What a spectacular evening. Cool, clear and a brilliant sunset. Lots of rock skipping, warm fire, calm waters and delicious hot dogs swilled with beer.

Heading for Anacortes the next day for fuel, where the kids can play in the sand at Cap Sante marina, while our friend John taxis the Admiral over to pick up her car at the ferry dock. Beautiful day, comfortably warm, awaiting for the flood to begin to takes us down the channel under sail to Shelter Bay. The White Pelicans, that have arrived several weeks ago, remain feeding as a hoard in the mud flats of Padilla Bay.

In all the years sailing this area, this is my first year to see White Pelicans ever and up close to boot. Past the swinging bridge, twin fixed bridges and finally Shelter Bay to use our brand new this year and very nice pump out station.

A sad time for our two week cruise to come to a memorable end. The kids want to stay and continue to visit more islands, but their dad's vacation is over and he needs to go back to work. As for the skipper, well the water awaits.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Nice narrative, Terry.. Thanks for posting. That is a beautiful area.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree - always a great fireworks show on Lopez. I spent the 7/1 on the hook in Barlow Bay (other side of the Island from Watmaugh). My brother has the family cabin on Agate Beach just around the corner. The next day we relocated to Fisherman's Bay - anchored fairly close to the Inn. Left early on the 5th so I could get out while plenty of water. The wind was crazy while in the Bay, and it was fun watching the boats swing in the wind.
Les

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Terry we had an Awesome display here on Sandy Point. Also a Group of white pelicans here as well an awesome site I look forward to seeing you sometime in the near future and a sail if your in the area stop by here is a pic out front from the air we are the only ones with White Rocks out in front and there is anchorage right in front hope to see you soon
jacks place.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Interesting. We also left early on the fifth and as I recall you were just ahead of us, I think.

Been by Barlow Bay many times but have yet to anchor. I'll have to give a try the next time out.

We've been by Odlin County Park on the northwest side of Lopez many times but have yet to stop by. Reported to be a nice anchorage and also mooring balls.

http://www.visitsanjuans.com/members/odlin-county-park-camping

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Terry we had an Awesome display here on Sandy Point. Also a Group of white pelicans here as well an awesome site I look forward to seeing you sometime in the near future and a sail if your in the area stop by here is a pic out front from the air we are the only ones with White Rocks out in front and there is anchorage right in front hope to see you soonView attachment 125895
Great shot. Wow.

Oct 1, 2015
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
It was Taken while in my friend RV-6 at a 4g turn at 500' he has camera's installed so just a click takes shot were we are looking

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
My best memoryofOdlin Park is from about 1964 fourth ofJuly picnic. My older brother had been picking on me all day. So to get back. I picked a hand full of nettles and snuck up behind him while he was playing on the "canon" and stuffed the whole bunch down the back of his pants. Still brings a smile when I think of it.

Les