Early Catalina 30 Cushion Dimensions

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina Crealock 37 Wherever we happen to be cruising
We just bought a 1975 Catalina 30 that has no interior cushions. Catalina wants more than $5000 for a full set, which is more than we paid for the boat! Not gonna happen. :) I put a Wanted ad up but just in case that doesn't pan out, I was hoping to get cushion dimensions from someone here who has an older Catalina 30 with an L-shaped dinette so we can commission someone local to make them. Thanks!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
www.catalinayachts.com has a "Brochure Series Archive" section. If you register on that website (free) they have the way old C30 brochure with pictures which should help. You have the boat, so if no one has the measurements for you, you could start here. Good luck.

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
You don't really need the original dimensions. A good local upholstery person can come and measure your space and build cushions to fit and look better than original. The key is 'good local upholstery person.'

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
When I did my cushions they came down with red rosin paper and made templates. The guy that actually made them was very good, it wasn't his first rodeo. They also took notes and made measurements for the cushions. I went with 5 inch foam on the sitting cushions. In my back cushions were 3 inch at the bottom 2 inch at the top.

My sister is a interior designer and she could buy the sunbarela product at wholesale. So the people I used ended up buying the product and marking it up 20% instead of 80% and sometimes they market up 100%. Another thing is the price of foam it's not cheap and I would not recommend using the old foam and less you really like the smell of your cabin now. The total cost on my 1978 Catalina dinette model was $4800 I probably could've got them down to $4500 but since they are give me a great price on my canvas I figured it was a wash. Another note here that I use snaps to hold the vertical cushions and not Velcro. I understand it's a lot of money for cushions but if you spend $2-$3000 and they are not right it's a waste of money. If you reuse the foam and went to a car upholstery guy, and by your sunbmbrella at a discount either through your upholstery guy or online is probably your cheapest way to go in my opinion

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Doesn't the table drop down to make a bed?
Are the backrest cushions used to fill in?
Will the difference in thickness be problematic?

Oct 28, 2013
Catalina 30 1978 #980 Catalina 30 1978 #980 Mission beach, California
Doesn't the table drop down to make a bed?
Are the backrest cushions used to fill in?
Will the difference in thickness be problematic?
Yes the table drops down to make a bed and there is a special cushion that is a little thicker that goes on top of the table. No need to put the special cushion on the boat until you are ready to go cruising in my opinion. I have not used the dinette area for sleeping yet

Nov 18, 2012
Catalina 77 - 22 / 75 - 30 Lake Arthur, LA
I have #65. Here are some notes I have:

Boat cushions

Right settee.
37x16x4
40x16x4
37x23x4
40x23x4
20x14x4
20x14x4

Left dining area

47x16x4
56x19x4
272x16x4
72x19x4

Rear quarter berth

72x30x5
72x30x5

3 pieces

20x26x4

This was to estimate material needed to re-upholster. Haven't tackled it yet.

Dave

Ps. What hull number do you have?

Sep 30, 2014
Catalina 30 Gales Ferry, CT
I'm in a similar situation, except that the boat I recently purchased came with all cushions, dated and odor filled as they might be..

My boat is a 1976 C30, Hull #222. I originally planned on reusing the existing foam and recovering with Sunbrella, but after pulling all the old covers off today and seeing the condition of the foam, I'm thinking I may need to purchase replacement foam as well. In order to do so, I'll be taking measurements of the foam that I have and can share those when I do. My guess is that they will be similar to those that Dave provided.

$5,000 from Catalina sounds steep, so I have two additional questions, the second of which might help the OP:

1. Has anyone had success with cleaning slightly mildewed and/or dirty foam cushions? Any hope for mine, based on the attached photos?

2. What is the best source for 4" foam (preferably outdoor, open cell type) if I were to cut and cover new foam on my own?

Attachments

Jul 21, 2013
Searching for 1st sailing boat 27-28, 34-36 Channel Islands, Marina Del Rey
I'm in a similar situation, except that the boat I recently purchased came with all cushions, dated and odor filled as they might be..

My boat is a 1976 C30, Hull #222. I originally planned on reusing the existing foam and recovering with Sunbrella, but after pulling all the old covers off today and seeing the condition of the foam, I'm thinking I may need to purchase replacement foam as well. In order to do so, I'll be taking measurements of the foam that I have and can share those when I do. My guess is that they will be similar to those that Dave provided.

$5,000 from Catalina sounds steep, so I have two additional questions, the second of which might help the OP:

1. Has anyone had success with cleaning slightly mildewed and/or dirty foam cushions? Any hope for mine, based on the attached photos?

2. What is the best source for 4" foam (preferably outdoor, open cell type) if I were to cut and cover new foam on my own?
Based on the attached photos and not having looked the foam in person, I would not bother cleaning but get new ones.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada

1. The internet makes it impossible to do smell tests! :dance: Only YOUR nose can tell you if you're willing to live with them. I've read reports on this and other boating forums that www.pureayre.com works. Your boat, your choice.

2. We found a local good foam retailer in our area (SF Bay). Check your yellow pages and ask local friends with boats. Good luck.

Oct 5, 2010
Catalina 30 mkII St. Augustine
I'm in a similar situation, except that the boat I recently purchased came with all cushions, dated and odor filled as they might be.. My boat is a 1976 C30, Hull #222. I originally planned on reusing the existing foam and recovering with Sunbrella, but after pulling all the old covers off today and seeing the condition of the foam, I'm thinking I may need to purchase replacement foam as well. In order to do so, I'll be taking measurements of the foam that I have and can share those when I do. My guess is that they will be similar to those that Dave provided. $5,000 from Catalina sounds steep, so I have two additional questions, the second of which might help the OP: 1. Has anyone had success with cleaning slightly mildewed and/or dirty foam cushions? Any hope for mine, based on the attached photos? 2. What is the best source for 4" foam (preferably outdoor, open cell type) if I were to cut and cover new foam on my own?
For a complete set foam, material and labor 5k is not a bad price. If you live in or near a boating community hire someone local to measure and make for you.

Jun 2, 2004
Catalina Crealock 37 Wherever we happen to be cruising
Nahart51, that was exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

We have hull #93 (or 97, can't recall). It had been sitting in a boatyard for 3.5 years and was one of the more filthy boats I've ever had the pleasure of owning (and that's not a small number). It was so bad that I took the pressure washer down below to clean. I've only ever had to do that once before, and that was on a Catalina 22 that had have sunk in a lake! The exterior is still a mess but it looks like Soft Scrub should take care of the bulk of the yuck.

Thanks to everyone for your replies!

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
Nothing works better on stained gel coat then Soft Scrub with bleach,
except for heavy duty auto rubbing compound. But Soft Scrub has removed many a stain
for me, & if it can't get it off, then its time to pull out the gel coat repair paint tube.