Dyneema for traveler?

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
We were sailing in 20knts on Saturday. During a tack the boom surprised us with a violent slam as it swung across. Our traveler cleat stripped the outer covering from the line. I have some Dyneema on hand. Would it be OK to use it in this application or should I order something like Sta-Set?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
During a tack the boom surprised us with a violent slam as it swung across. Our traveler cleat stripped the outer covering from the line.
Two parts to this... The slamming across of the boom in a gybe, and the line giving away (absorbing some of the force in the process) as a sacrificial lamb, saving the cleat or something else from breaking.

Dyneema would work just like wire. Zero stretch of give. Would you be willing to use wire for this task?

The line was likely chafing from previous events. It finally had enough and sacrificed itself.

I would not use dyneema in this role on your boat. You need the line to be a little forgiving. I would look to a good dacron/polyester line or back to stay-set if you prefer.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Good point on the lack of stretch. Is there a significant difference between dacron and polyester? If I understand correctly, dacron is a type of polyester

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I agree with @jssailem , the traveler line is one that you do want to have some stretch in it so it will absorb the loads imposed by a hard swinging boom.
I use 1/4" NER Sea Set on my C30 traveler.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
During a tack the boom surprised us with a violent slam as it swung across.
Off-topic, but the boom really shouldn’t be slamming across in a tack. It should just gradually luff then begin to fill on the new side. What you describe sounds more like a gybe. If so, try to control the gybe better in the future, taking in the mainsheet quickly before the slam happens. You can let it out again as the sail crosses the centerline, ideally trying to time it so that the friction in the system “catches” the boom.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Agree that the traveler is one line that should have a bit of stretch. Look for a non-hockling (Sp?) line. I would rate that over stretch or creep resistance on a traveler.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I wouldn't use Dynema because it both has too little stretch and doesn't have good hand feel.

I like New England Regatta for my traveler. A single braid polyester that is strong but quite soft on the hand and doesn't slip through cam cleats.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Flightline is New England Ropes dyneema with a cover. No stretch.

Dacron/Polyester - 3-5% stretch
Nylon - up wards to 20% stretch

Sta-Set is a double Braided polyester line
Regatta Braid is 12-strand single braid made from spun and filament polyester that is flexible and easy to handle.