Dyeing Sails

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFrere

Oct 1, 2008
Morgan 382 Mandeville, LA
I have an old lightweight drifter which is white. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried dyeing sails. I have two artists in the family and thought it may be fun to have them do some artwork with fabric dye. Any thoughts?
Tommy

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Let us know if it works. I've always worried that dacron won't hold the dye. But maybe?

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
I seem to remember a thread not too long ago about using fabric paint. Might check the archieves.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Yup paint it, dont dye it.
Especially with Dacron or nylon, DIY dyeing cannot penetrate 'into' the fibers; and, when it rains, you'll be standing ankle deep in 'color' ... and of course the dye doesnt easily come out of the gelcoat if the gel has become porous.

Aug 20, 2011
Macgregor 25 Sacramento, CA
What kind of paint would one use? I too have an old sail that needs some repairs that I was going to pass on doing...... but if I could paint a design on the sail i might undertake the repairs so i could haul it up on occasion. I'm thinking even with one color one could make a pretty striking design.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
... and the archive suggested trying "carpet dye".

I did a google and a lot of choices came up. I have a ratty old sail. Might make a fun weekend project to see what happens. But I'd want a few years of actual use data before I tried it on my main.

Just saying :)

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Nylon accepts "RIT" brand dyes but they fade in the sun after a couple of years. Rinsing the excessive dye from the fabric is essential . Purchase a yard of white nylon from a fabric shop and give it a try and see if you like it.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I doan no, T Frere.. I can see the psychedelic colors on the foredeck and dripping down the sides when ya get hit with that little acid rain stuff coming over from New Orleans ..??

Status
Not open for further replies.