Dye Penetrant

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Doug T.

I'm getting a new boat and would like to do a dye penetrant test of the standing rigging. I'm having a really hard time finding a source to purchase dye penetrant materials in less-than-commercial quantities. I really don't need a case full of 12-oz aerosol cans or a 55-gallon drum of the stuff. Can anyone help? Thanks!

J

Justin - O'day Owners' Web

Dye testing

Doug - West Marine carries it in normal quantities. Justin - O'day Owners' Web

D

Doug T.

West Marine?

I looked at their web site, but didn't see anything appropriate. Is it in their main (printed) catalog? I don't happen to have one handy....

D

Doug T.

Why not

I posted a similar question to Brion Toss' site earlier today. His reply: --------------------- Hello, I've gotten dye penetrant from welding supply shops, but only when insurer's insisted; I think that it doesn't make much sense to spraypaint your boat, when a close look with a 50x scope will do the job as well. Dye penetrants are very helpful when looking at long stretches of weld and such, but that's not what you do when checking out a rig. I might suggest you get a scope and an inspection video from us. Fair leads, Brion Toss ---------------------- I have a huge amount of respect for his opinion on all things rigging, so I might well invest in a good 50X scope instead of the dye kit. Check out his web site (see the Spartalk link) for a great education on standing

R

Ray Bowles

Doug, Thank you for the answer, it sounds like

the basic magnafluxa test that we use on highly stressed rotating journals. I know you have helped many of us with your explanation. In my case we are looking for a 37 to 43 foot boat this summer and this is a huge help. I do agree that the 50x scope is the better idea with the lighting system to support it. This is something I might be able to find through the firms I dealt with before retiring. I'll post back to you shortly if I find a cost effective solution. Again, thank you Ray S/V Speedy

Status
Not open for further replies.