DWL. Mast height

Jun 24, 2021
S2 8.6 Norfolk
I just purchased a 1985S28.6 and I’m looking for The mast height. Does anyone know where I could find a technical data sheet and or a PDF file for an owners manual of any sort.

Thanks in advance

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The I dimension is the height of the foretriangle from the chainplates. On the S2 this is a good estimate of the mast height, but that is from the deck level where the chainplates are located. The air draft, or height above the waterline is a different number. If you measure from the chainplate to the waterline and add that to the I dimension you'll get a good estimate of the air draft.

Air draft is important for getting under bridges and power lines.

S2s are nice sailing boat, there are a bunch of them at my marina.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @visegrip to the SBO Forum. Congrats on your new to you boat.

Measuring can be done by tying a tape measure to your halyard and while holding the tape haul the end up the mast.

An almost good way is to use the P number from this spec.https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/s2-86. Then add the boom to the deck value. You have within 6 inches the length of the mast from deck to mast head.

To know the need height to get under a bridge you need the boats “draft”. Add the height of the mast base from the water. Then add a fudge factor of 5 feet. You should have a safe number to slip safely under the bridge.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Roy, I thought it was,

Best to close your eyes as you pass under the bridge. And open the throttle, full speed ahead!

or was that David Glasgow Farragut. “Damned the torpedoes. Full speed ahead! “

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello visegrip and welcome to the SBO site. Two distances you need to consider are the height of the mast above the water and the depth of the keel below the water. Those two distances are quite different from most powerboats. Also, remember to add any antenna or wind direction/speed equipment at the top of the boat's mast. Best Wishes.