Dutchman

Jan 12, 2019
Hunter 290 Newport Yacht Basin
Hi all,

Proud new owner of a beautiful C30. There's just a couple things needed to make it perfect... It originally had the Dutchman flaking system, but the previous owner removed it because the lines had degraded. I'd like to replace it, but haven't been able to find any information about it. Catalina Direct has a replacement for the topping lift line, but nothing about the monofilament attachment clamps/cars/whatever you call them. As best I can tell, a previous owner untied the original pennent-style looped topping lift for the Dutchman and spliced a wire halyard to it, but kept the full length of line in a coil on the mast. It has the original grommeted sail.

Any idea where I could learn more about this system and possibly get replacement parts?

Since I know someone will ask, the reason I want it is that I do a lot of evening sailing with my family where every minute is at a premium and my toddler is constantly trying to go swimming without authorization.

Thanks!

David

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
go to the box store and buy weed wacker line. i did about 5 years ago and still working fine, ill change this year as they are alittle dirty
mike

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You can order replacement parts from Dutchman.com. They don’t list the component parts online, but they can email you a parts list and instructions.
It's actually dutchmar.com these days. Small company but easy to work with. I've ordered 400# filament and replacement blocks for my system.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Congrats on the 30. Be sure and join the C30 international association, they will have more info on maintaining and upgrading your C30 than you can consume. The C34.org also has tons of info on systems that are common between C30-C36’s. @Stu Jackson has done a fantastic job organizing the info so it’s fast to find what you need.

Another advantage of the International Association is you get a copy of the Maisheet, a glossy quarterly mag with content about our boats. You’ll find photos of Stu and Myself as we both have columns in there.

Now about your Dutchmen. I realize this is new to you but before rebuilding them, I think you should look into lazy jacks. As you read into the info above you’ll see a lot of Catalina owners have ditched the Dutchmen in favor of Lazy Jacks, take it a step further and add a Stack/Mac/whatever Pack and you’ll have the easiest system this side of inmast furling.

Les

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
People shy away from installing the Dutchman system because it involves modifying the sail. If your mainsail already has the reinforced holes, you are most of the way to having a working system. I've had lazy jacks and I have had (have) the Dutchman. I prefer the Dutchman 'cause I don't have the potential snagging batten issues you have with jacks and packs. The bags can trap water and invite birds if not made well.
In the end, it's your decision. There's plenty of discussion on here about all options including no assist at all.

May 11, 2014
Catalina 310 Lake Texoma
Congrats on the new boat and all the fun and adventures you'll have.
Please consider adding zippered openings in your main sail cover for your two Dutchman lines. Although our boat had the Dutchman when we bought her, our sail cover didn't have openings for the lines and consequently I wasn't a Dutchman fan initially. The problem was adjusting the Dutchman after each sail to allow enough slack for the sail cover to be put on kept me from consistently getting the line attachment points and line tension above the boom correct. Now that we have the openings in the sail cover we simply slack the topping lift to sail and tighten it prior to dropping the main. Our success flaking the main and satisfaction with the Dutchman system have both increased dramatically.
Good luck and fair winds.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I prefer the Dutchman 'cause I don't have the potential snagging batten issues you have with jacks and packs.
Lazy Jack Trick

Many folks complain about full battens getting caught up when raising the mainsail. They then spend a lot of time moving BOTH sides of the lazy jacks to the mast.

We developed an easier way with our lazy jacks.

We have a small cleat on the forward starboard side of the boom. When we put the halyard on the headboard, we move ONLY the starboard side of the lazy jacks forward and snug them under the forward side of the horn of this cleat.

Then, when we raise the mainsail, instead of going exactly head to wind, we bear off a tad to starboard so the wind is coming from the port side of the bow.

We then raise the mainsail and it doesn't get hooked on the lazy jacks even though the port side jacks are still there.

Been working for 20 years.

Yes, we have to go forward again to unhook the starboard lazy jack for dousing the sail if I forget to do it right when the main is raised, but there's never any hurry. The drill is: after the main is raised, I unhook that starboard lazy jack, so they're both ready to go when we drop the sails at the end of the day.

So, for those of you with lazy jacks, consider doing only one side.

Your boat, your choice. :)

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I believe in the end, this becomes something like a boxers or briefs discussion.
Financially speaking. the cheapest option for David may be to get the missing parts for the Dutchman

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks all! I was able to find and order the parts on Dutchmar's website, which has got to be the worst commercial website I've ever used. Total was only $123.

I spent a lot of time researching Dutchman vs. lazy jacks. My conclusion was that if the sail is already fitted for a Dutchman system, going with that is a no-brainer - getting only the topping lift parts is cheaper and doesn't require me to go aloft or drill the mast to install the hardware, and messing with lazy jack lines sounds like work. I do plan to add zippers to the sail cover as mentioned. I also looked at Stack Packs but the cost didn't seem worth it.

Joining the C30 association now - thanks for the pointer!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
:thumbup: I can take pictures of my zippered sailcover and post them if you need an example.
I think the company is a family business tailored mostly to phone and email orders.

Jan 12, 2019
Thanks, I'll let you know if I need that. I think I should be able to find someone local (Seattle) to do the job.

Jan 12, 2019
That sounds fun! I may have to give it a shot, if I can make it work with my work schedule.

Jul 22, 2011
Mariner Yacht Co.(NH) Mariner 28 Atlantic Highlands, NJ
+1 on monofiliment. There is nothing special about the line, and it is routine to replace it every 3-5 years. I've had a dutchman for about 10 years and love it. Check the web site they used to have the install manual on line for download. If you can't find it, PM me I have a PDF somewhere. Once you get used to it its a piece of cake. The hardest part is figuring out which side to start the top on when you are threading the line, and that isn't that hard.
Lou

Jan 12, 2019
I got their official monofilament since I was already paying for shipping, but will probably go the Home Depot route when it's due for replacement. I found and downloaded the manual - thanks! This is looking like a very easy upgrade. Making the perfect boat even perfect-er! :)

mortyd

Dec 11, 2004
Catalina 30 easy living
you guys are not mentioning one of the main advantages of the dutchman - unlike lazy jacks, the boat does not need to pointed into or near the wind. much easier to use when lowering the main.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
you guys are not mentioning one of the main advantages of the dutchman - unlike lazy jacks, the boat does not need to pointed into or near the wind. much easier to use when lowering the main.
Lazy jacks don’t need to be pointed into wind when sail coles down. Going up I use my hand to steer the boom so battons don’t catch. Easier than pulling back one side.

Les