Durango tow vehicle questions

Sep 16, 2020
Macgregor 26D Mechanicville, NY
My 26D’s trailer is a duel axel, hydraulic over electric. I’ll be sailing in fresh water not salt water. Just wondering what the best brake controller might be.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Backing up with surge brakes can be tricky. You are pushing against the brake master cylinder
True! Mine has a throw that is supposed to disengage the break. The problem is if it detects any forward motion, the throw trips. So if you have to pull forward for any reason, you have to get out of the car and reset the throw. Total PITA.

CaptVR

Nov 17, 2018
Macgregor 26X St.Petersburg, Fl.
Backing up with surge brakes can be tricky. You are pushing against the brake master cylinder
CaptVR here, Surge breaks, depending on the manufacturer have either a pin, or a lever like on a trailer winch, that locks the movable slide from sliding. This does not allow ram from setting breaks, this allows backing, and maneuvering be it a camper or a boat. Had a friend that use to bitch about his breaks binding up when backing, especially up hill, complained for three month. I told him he had a lock out, he told me he did not. I took him out to his trailer, now when I see him, he puts his hand over his face and says color me red. He said he seen it but thought it was part of the surge breaks, I looked at him and said "IT IS"
Everyone boat safe. Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS St. Petersburg, Fl.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I don't think MacGregor thought about using a pin. Hence my warning. From their MacGregor 26 user manual ....

TOWING WITH HYDRAULIC BRAKES: When you back up, the brakes may apply and you will get some brake pressure. Damp brakes may tend to seize when backing. Back slowly and steadily. You may have trouble with brake actuation if you try to back up a steep hill or driveway

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Mine has the lever type. And it is a PITA. The lever trips anytime you pull forward (even a little bit) so if you need to straighten out, the lever trips... now you have to get out, chock the tires, get back in.. pull forward and inch... get back out and reset the lever... back up a little to remove pressure on the chocks... get back out to retrieve your chocks and hope the lever does not trip.... and then start backing again. The upside of this type of break lever is that you have a lot of incentive to back up smooth and in a single shot so you get much better at backing a trailer.:poop: