Dumb Jabsco head problem

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
Why does Jabsco feel that they need to save 3 cents on a head or a macerator? It’s a well known issue that they used brass (instead of stainless) bolts on the macerator which guarantees it will leak, and then self-destruct.
But now I have found the ultimate in penny pinching, which is a real pain to remedy.
On the Jabsco head seats, they use a plastic hinge for the lid. That’s fine, but they don’t last forever. Especially when your boat is heeling, and someone parks their butt on it... if the sea conditions are lumpy, you’ll snap a hinge.
Fortunately, Jabsco didn’t overprice the hinge kits (I keep a spare), but they used ferrous screws to attach them into the lid & seat.
Now, after a few years of use, the exposure to “spray” & fumes just rots these screws. When you try to remove them, good luck Chuck not snapping the heads off.
So, now that you’re pre-warned, go at this very slowly, and spray the fasteners with WD. And make sure you replace them with good quality stainless flat head screws. It’s not the last time the hinge is going to break.

• Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Why does Jabsco feel that they need to save 3 cents on a head or a macerator? It’s a well known issue that they used brass (instead of stainless) bolts on the macerator..... So, now that you’re pre-warned, go at this very slowly, and spray the fasteners with WD. And make sure you replace them with good quality stainless flat head screws. It’s not the last time the hinge is going to break.
YOU put in the cheap-o screws and you want to blame Jabsco?:poop:

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
YOU put in the cheap-o screws and you want to blame Jabsco?:poop:
Sir,
The head CAME WITH the “cheapo screws”
I put in the stainless ones.
Your reading skills, as my fourth grade teacher wrote, “could use improvement .

hope this clarifies matters somewhat

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sir,
The head CAME WITH the “cheapo screws”
I put in the stainless ones.
Your reading skills, as my fourth grade teacher wrote, “could use improvement .

hope this clarifies matters somewhat
Your OP does not set that out. Maybe some writing improvement? eND OF CASE.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
Well, the Jabsco is the cheapest one on the market. How do you think they got it that way?