Dumb and dummer trying to win Darwin award.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Two spring-breakers in Port Canaveral, Fla., were almost rammed by a Carnival Cruise ship after falling off their jet ski and landing in the path of the oncoming ocean liner.

Skylar Penpasuglia, 19, and Allison Garrett, 20, had been maneuvering their jet ski near the mouth of the Port Canaveral harbor on Saturday afternoon when they flipped over and fell into the water. At the same time, the 130,000-ton Carnival Magic cruise ship was making its way out of the port, and there wasn’t enough time to steer around the women, reports Florida Today.

"I was limited in how far I could I could maneuver out of the way," said Port Canaveral Harbor Pilot Capt. Doug Brown, who was at the helm of the Carnival Magic.

MEET AMERICA'S FIRST 'BEERMEISTER' AT SEA

Brown says a breeze was pushing both women into the path of the liner, and that they were "in extremely close proximity to the bow of the ship now bearing down on their position."

Luckily, Brown had witnessed both skiers falling into the water and quickly alerted Brevard County Sheriff's Deputy Taner Primmer, who was stationed in a patrol boat nearby.

As Brown tried his best to change the ship’s course, Primmer zoomed over to the women and began yanking them out of the water. The Carnival Magic came just feet from Primmer’s boat by the time he was able to get both women on-board and leave the area.

A Carnival Cruise passenger captured the daring rescue on video, too. As the footage shows, Penpasuglia and Garrett came within seconds of being hit by — or dragged under — the Magic. Several of the passengers in the footage can be heard saying that they believed that the boat did indeed strike their overturned jet ski.

Sheriff Wayne Ivey of the Brevard County Sheriff’s Department has already commended Brown and Primmer’s teamwork.

“I couldn’t be prouder of the actions of Deputy Taner Primmer, a member of our SeaPort Security Marine Unit who placed his life in peril without hesitation to rescue the young girls, and the Harbor Master Pilot, who not only maintained communication with the deputy, but was able to safely veer the ship, providing Deputy Primmer the extras seconds needed,” Ivey told Florida Today.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Based on that report above, I'd say the cruise ship and sheriff did everything well.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
...a deputy who likely gets paid less than $30k / year. A public servant, a government worker..

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
...a deputy who likely gets paid less than $30k / year. A public servant, a government worker..
Yeah I don't think so. :)
Try $38,000 starting wage with a brand new badge. With zero OT, which is impossible, so probably closer to $50,000.
http://www.brevardsheriff.com/home/join-bcso/current-job-opportunities/
And a deputy who has the years and experience to be assigned to harbor patrol will be making a giant amount more than a new recruit.

The vid shows they're worth every penny.

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
Should one be allowed to drive a jetski if they can't right it?? Flip it back over, start it up and drive away. The engine compartment is water proof. The intake has a float valve which prevents water from running into the intake. I don't know how many times I've flipped a jet ski over. If you don't , you are not pushing it hard enough to have fun.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I worked at a marina in New England when Towboat US brought in a 65' Viking that had gone airborne after hitting rocks at high speed. The rocks are clearly charted, and well known to locals, well outside marked channels. The boat had over 1 million dollars in damage, and was sinking at the dock as we hauled it out by Travelift. Turns out he had grounded his 50' Viking the year before!

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Yeah I don't think so. :)
Try $38,000 starting wage with a brand new badge. With zero OT, which is impossible, so probably closer to $50,000.
http://www.brevardsheriff.com/home/join-bcso/current-job-opportunities/
And a deputy who has the years and experience to be assigned to harbor patrol will be making a giant amount more than a new recruit.

The vid shows they're worth every penny.
I'll never forget one dark night when my brother incorrectly addressed a Panama City Beach police officer as a "five dollar an hour rent-a-cop". :laugh:

He was quickly made aware of his mistake. ;)

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
So, the OP PM'd me, apparently feeling brutally insulted by my first response to this thread (only seconds after he insulted those unfortunate American jet-skiers, with that fabulous headline, but my comparison may be admittedly irrelevant).
It turns out, as predicted by another, that English is not the OP's first language, and he claims that auto-correct was not being friendly.
So I feel that I must apologize publicly:

I regret any harm that I may have caused through inappropriate humor, and hereby disclose some similar irony about myself:

A few weeks ago, I was backing out of my slip while explaining to my dock neighbor about the seaworthiness and pedigree of my vessel, and adding notes of my expertise in maintaining and sailing her.
The last of the braggadocious hot air was still blowing out of my face, when I noticed the end of the shorepower cord skipping along the deck.
I had disconnected it from the boat, but had apparently forgotten to lay it on the dock.
Subsequent bursts of forward thrust, with the associated diesel growl and gear whine, were able to get the boat cockeyed and stopped in the end of the slip, allowing a red-faced skipper to rescue his power cord before it hit the water.
:-D

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
"Bless me Father for I have sinned...."
I would regard it as a Venial Sin, more like being cranky, but you manned up, so kudos.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
And we've circled back to the Darwin Award.
I like when he gets hit by the first wave and decides to drive out further. Really?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
justsomeguy said:
Wow. Wonder what the back story is on that?
He couldn't find a place to turn around... the engine flooded. Those drive-thru car washes are not all they're cracked up to be.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
I see the OP's location is Toronto. I'm guessing English may not be his/her first language. If that's the case then I think I would not do as well trying to post on a French forum.
You've got to be kidding ... right?????

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
If he were a true Redneck (said with affection) he'd have brought his beer with him and would have said to the Coastie who came down from heaven "Hold my beer and I got some for you and the other fellers let's grab the cooler on the way up"

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
If he were a true Redneck (said with affection) he'd have brought his beer with him and would have said to the Coastie who came down from heaven "Hold my beer and I got some for you and the other fellers let's grab the cooler on the way up"
And he woulda had the Coast Guard rescue his dawg first. I'm pretty sure the dawg's name woulda been Old Blue.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Should one be allowed to drive a jetski if they can't right it?? Flip it back over, start it up and drive away. The engine compartment is water proof. The intake has a float valve which prevents water from running into the intake. I don't know how many times I've flipped a jet ski over. If you don't , you are not pushing it hard enough to have fun.
Agreed.... But for every one person who says this, ten people will decry the over-reach of government into private afffaris, like boating.

Are you suggesting licencing for jetskiing? Then for sailing? Do you have one? ;^)

Status
Not open for further replies.