Dufour 425 Grand Annoying Leak

Jan 13, 2014
Dufour 425 Gosport
Hi All,

Me again. On a roll given your advice on the last topic on the twin wheel helm.

The other annoying issue I have appears to be a leaking water tank. I have noticed that when the forward tanks (it has two) is full I get quite a bit of water leaking into the bilges which requires pumping regularly. This has started to happen after I had the engineers recently replace the element in the calorifier and they said there would be some residual water to pump out, however, after 2 weeks cruising the south coast I have been pumping the bilges daily.

The pressure pump for the water system is not tripping all the time so assume the leak is the other side of the system (ie tank to pressure pump).

I know it is fresh water as I have checked all the sea cock for leak and then, very bravely, I tasted it!

I have checked the plumbing as best I can, given all the tanks and pipe work run in virtually in accessible places.

I let the tanks run dry and, hey presto, very little water seeping in to the bilges.

Anyone got any ideas and do you thinks the issue is related to the replacement of the filament or just coincidence (I have not settled the invoice for the job yet so can go back and complain).

Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
At the risk of sounding rude, and I do not mean too one iota, but you've already figured it out, may just need some confirmation. Running the tanks out, and even tasting the water tells me the tanks are leaking, or some related line. I do not envy you, I spent all DAY yesterday taking up floorboards in a Cheoy Lee trying to fix broken plumbing myself. Fixing lines and tanks are easy, it's getting TO them...

Sep 26, 2008
- - Noank CT.
OK as stated you know the problem so now either you need to confirm and or get an exact location from where the water is leaking to repair. This is going to be simply looking and checking but one method I have used is to sprinkle baby powder and look for trails where water runs thru it. This can lead you in right direction to check. Can you shut off one tank (empty first then check for leaks then fill that one check for leaks then you will have eliminated that part of the system) and see if you still have leak ? Check all tank fittings and sending unit to see if leaking especially since it leak is more prevalent when full. Are you overfilling tank ? Check tank vents also. Only answer I know of is to check the system inch by inch. You need to determine where the leak is before you can say it was caused by the repair job to the water heater and while they may be linked only finding the leak will determine that. If leaking from the supply side to the pump may not be repair job as water heater is down system from pump. Either way you need to fix.

Jan 13, 2014
Dufour 425 Gosport
At the risk of sounding rude, and I do not mean too one iota, but you've already figured it out, may just need some confirmation. Running the tanks out, and even tasting the water tells me the tanks are leaking, or some related line. I do not envy you, I spent all DAY yesterday taking up floorboards in a Cheoy Lee trying to fix broken plumbing myself. Fixing lines and tanks are easy, it's getting TO them...
Agreed, I am going down to the boat tomorrow so I will have another good search to see of the leak is evident anywhere obvious. If I cant find looks like I need to get the wallet out again.

Thanks

Mike

Jan 13, 2014
Dufour 425 Gosport
OK as stated you know the problem so now either you need to confirm and or get an exact location from where the water is leaking to repair. This is going to be simply looking and checking but one method I have used is to sprinkle baby powder and look for trails where water runs thru it. This can lead you in right direction to check. Can you shut off one tank (empty first then check for leaks then fill that one check for leaks then you will have eliminated that part of the system) and see if you still have leak ? Check all tank fittings and sending unit to see if leaking especially since it leak is more prevalent when full. Are you overfilling tank ? Check tank vents also. Only answer I know of is to check the system inch by inch. You need to determine where the leak is before you can say it was caused by the repair job to the water heater and while they may be linked only finding the leak will determine that. If leaking from the supply side to the pump may not be repair job as water heater is down system from pump. Either way you need to fix.
OK, so the hot water is after the pressure pump so unlikely to be related to the element fix. I will have a look at all the tank fittings to see if anything obvious. The problem with modern yachts is they are flat bottom The flow seems to becoming from the aft but it is the forward tank which appears to be the culprit when checking the water gauge (ie it seems only to fill the bilges when this tanks is holding water). It has a self switching system i.e. no leaver to change from tank to tank but does empty the aft tanks first. The substrates in the design mean it could be coming from anywhere.

If I cant find guess it's time to call in the experts.

Thanks for the advice.

Mike

Oct 17, 2011
Ericson 29 Southport..
Well, man...if you can be persistent, and keep digging, you'll find your leak. I've worked on a Dufour before, but never the 'interior'. Somebody put it together, therefore it can be taken apart. Bearing in mind I took no less than twenty five flat headed, brass, corroded screw up just to remove one floorboard, (I should call it the cabin sole, but you get the idea). But there the little gusher was. Bear down, man. Do not let the boat win.

Sep 25, 2008
CS 30 Toronto
put some food coloring in the tank. it will show a trial. Different color for each tank will tell you which one.