Dufour 31, your thoughts

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
The Sabre underneath the 3800 looks interesting. In either event a 40 year old 30' boat should be less than 10K. Maybe recent market conditions can demand more but .... twice as much?
Do you have a link for the Sabre? I didn't see it.

Sabres are boats I know well having owned 2 of them. Well cared for Sabres seem to hold their value.

Jan 11, 2014
I think this is the link:
Thanks Andrew. Judging from the photos the Sabre looks to be appropriately priced at $14.9K

The Dufour also seems to be in the right range, when priced in US dollars. It is a little newer and has a few creature comforts that the Sabre lacks, like a propane stove and pressure water.

There is likely some wiggle room in the price, especially as the summer storage bills will be due in a couple of months.

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
Thanks Andrew. Judging from the photos the Sabre looks to be appropriately priced at $14.9K

The Dufour also seems to be in the right range, when priced in US dollars. It is a little newer and has a few creature comforts that the Sabre lacks, like a propane stove and pressure water.

There is likely some wiggle room in the price, especially as the summer storage bills will be due in a couple of months.
According to the description this Sabre has pressure water. I'd bet one could sail this boat away for 12k.

Jan 11, 2014
According to the description this Sabre has pressure water. I'd bet one could sail this boat away for 12k.
Missed the pressure water. My '81 S30 did not have pressure water. It also says hot water, I wonder where the the HW tank is located. A real downside is the Kenyon pressure alcohol stove. There used to be a drop in Origo replacement, but those are long gone. And they painted all the teak bulkheads. :( Around $12K is probably right.

The Dufour will go for less than asking price, too. For the OP any price savings from the Sabre would be chewed up getting the boat back to Ottawa.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Missed the pressure water. My '81 S30 did not have pressure water. It also says hot water, I wonder where the the HW tank is located. A real downside is the Kenyon pressure alcohol stove. There used to be a drop in Origo replacement, but those are long gone. And they painted all the teak bulkheads. :( Around $12K is probably right.

The Dufour will go for less than asking price, too. For the OP any price savings from the Sabre would be chewed up getting the boat back to Ottawa.
The Origo stoves are not difficult find on the used market. And a used one is just as good as a new one in most cases, because they are essentially indestructible.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Just to clarify I wasn't suggesting the Sabre for the OP. I just thought it was an interesting listing in light of the discussion.
Kenyon stoves are exciting to use!

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
And they painted all the teak bulkheads. :( Around $12K is probably right.
Oh my.
In addition to being great sailing boats the beauty of a Sabre is the interior. They are very warm & inviting. If the PO painted the bulkheads to brighten it up, shame on them. But same could be said about me turning my 28 into an electric sailboat

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2013
Pearson P30 202 Ottawa/Gatineau
still looking at different boats, and a fellow club member told me she has her C&C mark2 30ft for sale, what do you think of that boat?
and I also saw a 29 ft Alberg for sale

dmax

Jul 29, 2018
O'Day 35 Buzzards Bay
C&C 30 MkII are very nice boats - you should check that one out.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
The C&C 30 MkII is a very large step up from the Cherubini you first posted. Well worth a look at. I can't imagine in the same price range though.

Jan 11, 2014
C&C made fine boats in their day. Well constructed, reasonably fast. The Albergs are also nice boats, a bit more traditional in hull design than C&C which was a racer/cruiser style. The C&C is probably more fun to sail.

Aug 17, 2013
The only drawback with the C&C is the motor, I would like diesel but it has an atomic 4

Jan 11, 2014
The only drawback with the C&C is the motor, I would like diesel but it has an atomic 4
That would be an obstacle. Keep looking, you'll find a boat sooner or later. In the meantime you have a perfectly good boat that you can use and enjoy.

Aug 17, 2013
I can’t get hold of the owner at the moment, as soon as I find out I’ll keep you informed

Aug 17, 2013
Well the C&C owner isn’t returning my calls, so after talking with my friend, I’m thinking about getting the Pearson 30, it’s an older boat but at half the price it gives me more money to upgrade it.