Ducks in my backyard!

Feb 16, 2023
Hunter 27 cherubini 832 Lake Travis
As long as your comfortable with it, is all that matters. The fold out doors are a "nice to have" as well.
my doors fold in so they don't disturb people in the cockpit. And because they're not so huge they shouldn't get in the way if they're just folded open. Hey what do I know, I'm just a retired crackpot with a boat and a lot of time.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
That is interesting (swinging inward). On my O’Day 322, the PO-installed doors swing outward.

i have both the original plexiglass washboards and the swing doors. I like the look of the plexiglass, but do hate removing them, storing them, etc.

IMG_0818_Original.jpeg

The swing doors have windows in them…they were in pretty rough shape when I bought the boat.
IMG_1901_Original.jpeg

I was on a “No teak exterior” kick for a while, and painted the doors white. I also replaced the plexiglass inserts.

IMG_1905_Original.jpeg

Greg

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Just idle blind curiosity on my part, but any reason why you didn't go with the usual arrangement of companionway boards. Storage issues ?

View attachment 215416

These pack in pretty tight in their own bag in the lazarette. Once we are gone for a month, we use snap on Sunbrella panels .................... a solid one for privacy, one with an acrylic window for light, and a third one with a mosquito screen.
They look pretty sweet to me.
What are the white tabs between the “boards”?

Feb 16, 2023
They look pretty sweet to me.
What are the white tabs between the “boards”?
Framing, window dressing... when completed all four doors will be framed. It will give them a better appearance as well as creating the overlaps that are necessary and will help direct water away from the gaps that occur in every door or window that open.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
We had ducks in our marina and they would always sit on the sides of our dinghy tied to the stern of the boat - with their bad side facing in, making a mess. We finally tied some small rubber alligators on the sides of the dinghy and the ducks left us alone.

Feb 16, 2023
Yeah these ducks don't seem to be very messy. I've seen them walk all over the docks you know half a dozen of them and having been at this Marina for 10 months now I've only seen a couple of messes on the dock. And they seem to stay off everybody's boats. Anyway I'm good with them.

Feb 16, 2023
I guess I never showed you the completed companionway. The trim is staggered and overlapping. Had a heavy rain storm a few days after completion with the winds blowing directly at the stern... not a drop!!

Attachments

DaveJ

Apr 2, 2013
Catalina 310 Niagara-on-the-Lake
Just wondering, if the doors open inwards, do they impede using any of the handholds when using the stairs? It would be nice to keep them out of the cockpit. Cheers

Feb 16, 2023
Just wondering, if the doors open inwards, do they impede using any of the handholds when using the stairs? It would be nice to keep them out of the cockpit. Cheers
Well there are no handholds to impede. But I have considered installing a couple. The larger of the doors which are the top two are only 15" wide. I have not completed the interior trim of them. Which is to say that I've cut the trim pieces just have not installed them yet. The old heavy plexiglass I cursed many times. My new design has yet to aggravate me. I know that a lot of traditional types will have a lot to say about a lot of things that I have done to my boat. All I have to say is they don't have to do it to their boat nor do they have to reside on mine. Cheers to all.