Ducks in my backyard!

Feb 16, 2023
Hunter 27 cherubini 832 Lake Travis
20230502_173139.jpg

So since I've been working on my boat daily I get multiple visits everyday from the local ducks. Mostly this couple who have never come up on the dock until the other day when I shot this photo, realizing that somehow gotten up on the finger and we're sitting three or four feet behind me making no noise at all just relaxing. When I feed them the perch and other fish come up and take pieces of the food that I toss out but last night when I was feeding them some pretty large catfish decided to come up and they didn't just want little Parcels they wanted it all. And they were nibbling at the feet of the Ducks to get them the flee. Well in any event they have become my buddies and they visit me quite regularly.
20230502_173139.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Don’t let them (or allow them) to get on board and nest!

Greg

Feb 16, 2023
nope certainly wouldn't let that happen. I don't want them on board. Let alone nesting.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Mostly this couple who have never come up on the dock until the other day
Ducks must have a good knowledge of water stuff. I'd keep them close at hand and see if they'll come out with you when you go sailing. Could be helpful in a sticky situation.

Feb 16, 2023
That's pretty funny there Ralph!:cool: actually I did think I saw them out there one afternoon. I wasn't sure that they started coming back following me back to the dock. But what do you figure they'll help me with?

Jan 4, 2006
But what do you figure they'll help me with?
I suspect they would know the direction back to land if you were ever stranded out at sea. It's common to see birds as an indication of land ahead when one has completed an ocean voyage. If ever you're beyond the sight of land with broken GPS and a bad compass, these would be the boat guests you'd want around. Definitely not your overweight brother-in-law. Push the ducks off the boat and follow them back to land.

Feb 16, 2023
Well I get that Ralph but I thought you knew I'm on a lake.:cool:

Feb 16, 2023
Ducks must have a good knowledge of water stuff. I'd keep them close at hand and see if they'll come out with you when you go sailing. Could be helpful in a sticky situation.
Although with those ducks on board that would be a sticky situation for sure. I think the doc is the closest I'll let them get. By the way I'm working on my four-door Companion Way here's a pic.

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
Don’t let them (or allow them) to get on board and nest!
I had a momma duck take up residence in my sail pack early on in the pandemic when MD didn't allow recreational boating. Eggs were sterile and we ended up evicting her. The mainsail was a mess where the nest was.

Feb 16, 2023
Wow, I bet it was.
I had a momma duck take up residence in my sail pack early on in the pandemic when MD didn't allow recreational boating. Eggs were sterile and we ended up evicting her. The mainsail was a mess where the nest was.

Jan 4, 2006
You've posted the image four times now . . .
I'm getting dizzy.

And as well as dizzy, I thought you had originally posted a picture showing the two pieces in place as you now show and an additional two pieces laying to the right on the strbd lazarette. Are those corrugated plastic pieces for a pattern ? Won't they be a little insecure with the split in the middle ?

Feb 16, 2023
I'm getting dizzy.

And as well as dizzy, I thought you had originally posted a picture showing the two pieces in place as you now show and an additional two pieces laying to the right on the strbd lazarette. Are those corrugated plastic pieces for a pattern ? Won't they be a little insecure with the split in the middle ?
Nah I got plenty to secure them with I got a couple of three each of these
20230506_221514_001.jpg

Feb 16, 2023
I'm getting dizzy.

No those are half inch PE. And yes the door has four pieces. All on lift off hinges. One side upper and lower will have an overhang in their framing that will cover the gap.

Jan 4, 2006
Just idle blind curiosity on my part, but any reason why you didn't go with the usual arrangement of companionway boards. Storage issues ?

1683429953187.png

These pack in pretty tight in their own bag in the lazarette. Once we are gone for a month, we use snap on Sunbrella panels .................... a solid one for privacy, one with an acrylic window for light, and a third one with a mosquito screen.

• Helpful
Feb 16, 2023
Yes, probably three or four. Now yours are pretty nice, they look manageable and somewhat utilitarian. However I have dealt mostly in my life with two piece bulky, heavy mostly worthless, unless you just want to barricade yourself in, and they have all the imagination and utilitarianism of a lead weight. Not to impune anyone's two-piece bulky heavy companion way barricades... I just like to be a little different. Now I intend to put pocket windows in my top two that will be able to be switched out from a blackout to clear or screen. I put rollers on my companion way overhead so it now moves smoothly and effortlessly. My doors will swing open one or two at a time or come off and are very small and can easily be stowed anywhere. Hey , I just dreamed it up, drew it up and now I'm building it for the first time. I think I'm going to like it. We'll see if my model will work as good as I think it will . Here's the new starter panel I just built, I'm sure there's a lot of folks that won't like it either. But I'm fixing my boat up for me. I think it's a lot better than the old Renault Crouch, it has more of what I want on it.
Just idle blind curiosity on my part, but any reason why you didn't go with the usual arrangement of companionway boards. Storage issues ?

View attachment 215416

These pack in pretty tight in their own bag in the lazarette. Once we are gone for a month, w
20230430_113445.jpg
e use snap on Sunbrella panels .................... a solid one for privacy, one with an acrylic window for light, and a third one with a mosquito screen.
WA

Jan 4, 2006
As long as your comfortable with it, is all that matters. The fold out doors are a "nice to have" as well.