Dual Tracks on Hunter 33

McPhee

Mar 15, 2023
Hunter 33 Chicago
I have two sets of tracks for my 2005 Hunter 33. It looks like the jib should typically be routed on the deck. The spinnaker setup in the manual is ran aft to the winches around the bimini block. Does anybody have info on what the outer tracks are useful for? Image is my same model but another owner on this forum.

hunter 33.jpg

Quantum Sails is making a larger ~130% genoa for me. I'll probably run it to the outer track and play with which way to run it around the shrouds.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Good plan to run a 135 outside the shrouds.

You will likely use the section of the deck tracks nearest the cockpit and adjust forward as the sail trim and conditions permit. Note 135% means the sail will be beyond the mast, about 35% closer to the stern than the mast. A longer foot and leach. Running the sail sheets to the cabin top track will make tacking the sail a nightmare.

It will be fun to test your new sails.

That said… Your boat is identified as a 2005 Hunter 33. After 2004 Hunter started to make the 33 as a Fractional rig, not a Mast head rig. This meant a bigger Main Sail for power and a smaller foresail on all boats built as a fractional rig.

I would check carefully with the sail maker regarding putting a 135% Genoa on your boat. It may not perform as you expect.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
The deck mounted tracks are used for most sailing conditions and point of sail. Since the sheet is led outside the cap shrouds, you are limited in the angle you can sheet in. You're good to a close reach or about 40° off the wind. For pointing higher, you can lead the jibsheet inside the shroud and reverse diagonal to the cabin top track and use the cabin top winch to winch in the sail to close hauled. In practice, this is a lot of fiddling for 10° higher pointing. Sailing that close to the wind is slower too, if you look at the polar diagrams. So generally, it's not worth the effort.

I find those cabin top tracks are really good at grabbing toes as you try to move forward from the cockpit.

@jssailem gives sound advice on the headsail. The B&R fractional rig on our boats are design to get the driving power from the mainsail. A small 110 jib provides less proportion of the driving. The jib does develop the slot effect of the combined sails which adds speed. I would not recommend a 135 for this rig. An additional benefit of the 110 is the ease in tacking without having to coax a large headsail across all of the rigging and reset.

If you want more sail area, talk to your sailmaker about a mainsail with positive roach. Positive roach adds sail area to the leach of the sail. You'll also want to add battens to help maintain the shape of that additional sail area.

The additional sail area will help only in light air. Even with the standard sail dimensions, I find our boats are getting overpowered at 15knts sustained and start reefing the mainsail. Second reef and headsail are furled at 20knts sustained.

diagram-sail_anatomy.jpeg

• Helpful
Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
Tracks on the deck were an option for single-handing. Run the sheets to the 2 winches beside the helm. You can be at the helm, hit autotack, tack the jib, repostion the traveller all without leaving the helm.

May 25, 2023
Hunter 33 Mallets Bay, Colchester, VT
I use the deck tracks & cars almost exclusively with my stock (being replaced this winter) 110%. The only time I'll move them to the cabin top tracks is when trying to point as high as possible. Once you start to fall off and sheet out, there's the risk of chafing against the shrouds which also screws with the sheeting angle. My sail loft came out to the boat for measurements and advised against going with a larger genny for chafe & balance reasons, so I'm following Hunter's design intents and springing for an asym.

One thing he noticed was that fully hoisted the luff was at least 6 inches shy of the halyard sheave. The new 110 will be picking up about 8 sq ft of sail area by maximizing the luff length.

kbgunn

Sep 19, 2017
2005 Hunter 33 Lake Lewisville, TX
Nice Scott!
Flying an asym is one of the top thrills of sailing. This is me flying one single-handed on my H33-2 two weeks ago and having a great time. Enjoy it as often as you can.
IMG_0327.JPG

Jul 3, 2023
Hunter 33 Erie Pa
my new 2008 hunter 33 (bought may 2023) had original sails and neither made it to august, got new sails from Quantum delivered in 3 weeks. i went with 135 head sail (also +6" luff difference from old) for extra power for broad and down wind in lighter winds. i used deck track mid to aft positions. It helps beam broad reach with less then 10 kts but is reefed in most other. only used it a few times so i can't say it was a complete waste of money but i should have put the +$200 towards an Asym. nice pic.