Dual Purpose Battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Well done, Maine Sail! Another satisfied forum member!!
And the direct quote from East Penn/Deka:

Question: What is the difference between the group 24/27/31 deep cycle batteries West Marine sells and the ones NAPA sells?

Answer: The sticker..

But let's not forget the price!! =$97.99 vs. $169.99 (group 27)

That's a lot of dough for a "sticker"...

You never know what a thread will turn into but this one turned into a big savings on batteries...:D

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I can't understand why people would sell a dual purpose battery for the marine industry when the standard these days is to have deep cycle house banks and an auxiliary bank.

The other good news is that this forced me to fix two other problems. I have now fixed the bilge pump wiring so that the float switch goes directly to the batteries and I learned more about my Link 10.

Interesting thing....the wiring from the panel to the float switch that I removed was not pre-tinned wire.

None the less, I will have 200 amp hours in my house bank when the new batteries come in. I am not running any major power killers (no inverters, refrigeration, or anything like that). I should be fine.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
I can't understand why people would sell a dual purpose battery for the marine industry when the standard these days is to have deep cycle house banks and an auxiliary bank.
Probably because they're not just selling to sailors. Down here, my fellow fishermen have outboards and often trolling motors as well. A regular cranking battery is not good for running a trolling motor (more of a deep cycle application), but you'll sometimes need to use that trolling motor battery to crank your engine. You're not generally using pure "deep cycle" all that much. Presto!! Dual purpose batteries are the thing. They crank your outboard, and they run your trolling motor.

May 23, 2004
When I had a bass boat my trolling motor had a dedicated deep cycle and my outboard had its own starting battery. That seems like that would be the best method.

Jul 28, 2010
Boston Whaler Montauk New Orleans
When I had a bass boat my trolling motor had a dedicated deep cycle and my outboard had its own starting battery. That seems like that would be the best method.
It is, and that's what most people do, but if your cranker dies, you can hook up your trolling battery to start the motor. Believe me, I'm no mechanic or battery expert. Just my observations. My understanding, flawed as it may be, is that a deep cycle battery may not be enough to crank a motor.
Just for what it's worth, I use a dual purpose for my cranking and another for my house.

(So you don't fish anymore?? :eek:)

May 23, 2004
I didn't say that I don't fish. I will troll when I am sailing at times, I use to be a flyfishing guide and I still flyfish some, and I am always up for a relaxing few hours of fishing when the weather is nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.