DSC Safety Call - Appropriate to use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
I just got my new Icom M412 radio installed this weekend (purchased at the Annapolis boat show, great price from GPS store) and have the NMEA interfaces working with the GPS and everything tested with the Coast Guard test call (which reports back to the plotter quite nicely I might add), and with my new technical capability, I am now thinking about the potential additional uses of DSC, and I wanted to ask about the "all ships safety call"...

Imagine yourself getting caught out 15 miles offshore in moderately heavy fog with visibility of roughly a half NM, and no radar or AIS, and not far from a commercial traffic lane (which you are crossing as quickly as possible).

I have had this happen before, and in addition to the horn signals I made low power Sécurité transmissions from my hand held radio every 5-10 minutes with my approximate position, course and heading to anyone in the area so they knew to be on the lookout (one person did respond saying thanks for the heads up so I know it helped).

Since we all know that many people (like those Maine Sail recently posted pictures of) are out there just staring at their GPS and often don't even have the radio on, I am wondering if it is appropriate to also issue a "all ships safety call" from the DSC radio from time to time in those conditions, which will also pop up an alert and plot my current position on their GPS (if they have it properly hooked up to a DSC capable radio of course)?

My understanding is the "all ships safety call" is the DSC equivalent of a Sécurité call, which would be completely appropriate to make in a situation where visibility is poor. My question is would this be misinterpreted as a distress call and cause problems, or would it safely increase the awareness of other vessels around me to my position, or would the transmission go too far to be appropriate to use in that circumstance and only serve to raise confusion with other vessels?

The last thing I would want is to issue a safety call to alert people to my position in times poor visibility, and as a result of them not knowing what the call is for, they rush towards me at full speed thinking something is wrong, only to cause the collision I was trying to avoid.

Begin Debate..... Now.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
This seems like a pretty good tutorial ... so I briefly went thru the topics. It describes "non-emergency" DSC calls for:

sending/receiving position reports
Polling for position reports
Group calling

It sounds like you describe a perfectly acceptable use of DSC which should not instigate emergency responses.

http://www.boatus.com/foundation/dsc/player.html

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Course EVERYBODY would need to have their DSC radio on for this to be handy. I'd stick to your SECURITAY calls on 16 for max safety. You will be in position to take advantage of DSC when we all retire our old radios....

Apr 8, 2010
Frers 33 41426 Westport, CT
Course EVERYBODY would need to have their DSC radio on for this to be handy. I'd stick to your SECURITAY calls on 16 for max safety. You will be in position to take advantage of DSC when we all retire our old radios....

Of course this is something to do in addition to traditional sécurité calls and horn blasts, not in lieu of them. I am thinking about the guys with the radios on, and the stereo turned up, and engine too loud who never hear a single call. Guys like us actually listen to 16 (I do, and I'm assuming most people on this forum do too), but I imagine there is a good chance the guys who don't listen to 16 might see this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Securite#Example_usage

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
I'm guessing commercial boats and ships will, which would be my biggest (pun) concern. Being hit by a 10,000lb Searay or sailboat would be dangerous and aggravating, but being run down by a cargo ship in the Chesapeake lanes would be a horrible death.

Ships have radar, but you can't depend on that for many reasons, and if I can burb into the mic and disclose my precise location, speed, heading, and boat name for hailing, I'm a little better off. Especially since it would likely appear automatically on their chartplotter. Also, I think you can chose 1 watt for this function, which would limit radio\position traffic elsewhere.

I'd probably never need it, as I tend to stay out of shipping lanes in the fog, but it's better to have it and not need it than......

Status
Not open for further replies.