DSC advantages, details + AIS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Br3nt

May 14, 2011
C&C 39 San Francisco
So if you have the GX2150 and the HX851 do you use the same MMSI on both or register two different MMSI numbers?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Interesting question. The short answer is the same MMSI. By doing so you will tie both radios to the boat name that you registered for the MMSI.

Couple of scenarios come to mind particularly for the portable that will make things murky down the road:

1. You take the portable with you on a buddies boat and have to use it in an emergency,

I guess you would have to clear things up in the MAYDAY message or in your follow up communications with the Coast Guard,

2. When you sell the boat, normally the fixed radio stays and the portable would go with the seller.

In the case of the fixed radio, the MMSI information is simply changed to reflect the new owner's name. But in the case of the portable, the MMSI would have to be changed (reprogrammed) to reflect the MMSI of your new boat.

Yikes!!

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
The MSSI number is a one shot deal without a factory return BUT all my info tied to that number can be changed at ANY TIME VERY EASY

The only issue i can see would be IF you sold the boat with the radio and did NOT give the account to the new owner ?

Br3nt

May 14, 2011
C&C 39 San Francisco
Hmmm... I'll probably want to have the flexibility to change the handheld for sailing on other boats. I don't plan on selling the boat (I've said that before) but it would be nice to have a different account for the GX2150. I see my better half registering a new MMSI for the GX2150 in my future.

Thanks for feedback.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
One thing I discovered is each raymarine radio can only have the MSSI number changed twice. That would be the install and one other new number. This is to prevent a fraud issue the USCG and law enforcement are concerned about
FWIW

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
When you sell the boat the MMSI will have your name on it until the new owner makes the change. In my case when I sold my boat, I waited about 30 days to see if the new owner made the name change. They did not so I cancelled the MMSI. The new owner will have to re-register the boat and re-program the radio if they so desire. Where it gets really foggy is when the new owners activate the DSC, the radio will transmit the MMSI and GPS info but the MMSI is not active at least in the Coast Guard data base because I have cancelled it.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
Have just installed the Standard Horizon GX2150.
Skip

What GPS/Plotter did you use? I just purchased the SH CP390i at the boat show yesterday to hook up to my GX2150 that I installed in October. How is your plotter and radio installed?

Since it's winter I am now going insane trying to plan out the best way to put the plotter at the helm and run the data cables to the radio at the nav station! I have my plan but of course, it's fluid!

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
On our old boat we had a Uniden Oceanus with a WHAM wireless microphone. After 2 years of using it I don't understand why there are not more like it out there. The chartplotter was a Raymarine C80.

Running the cables neatly is always a challenge. It is even more difficult on newer boats. I ran all the cables (4) going to the chartplotter through a length of 3/4" white sanitary hose and feed the bottom end into a 1" stainless steel 45 deg rail base that I fastened to the deck. The cables were feed through a drilled hole in the deck through the rail base up the tube to the chartplotter (actually all this has to go down from the plotter given the connectors at the chartplotter end). The hose was secured neatly with white tie wraps to the the pedestal.

I had a lot of complements on the finished project.

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
Skip

What GPS/Plotter did you use? I just purchased the SH CP390i at the boat show yesterday to hook up to my GX2150 that I installed in October. How is your plotter and radio installed?

Since it's winter I am now going insane trying to plan out the best way to put the plotter at the helm and run the data cables to the radio at the nav station! I have my plan but of course, it's fluid!
changed

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.