DS Centerboard removal

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SmoothSailVT

I inherited an O-Day Day Sailor (DS)[original model- circa 1974] that needs to have the centerboard assembly removed so that I can repair (rebuild) the center board. The 6 bolts that hold in the stainless steel centerboard assembly are completly corroded. It appears to me that the only way to remove them is with a grinder.
My question is: Does anybody know how that bolt assembly is constructed?
OR: has anybody actually done the job I'm talking about? I want to know how the boat is constructed so that I can re-assemble it after I repair the centerboard.
I've already tackled the issue of getting the boat off the trailer and turned on it's side enough so that I can easily access the bottom of the boat.
I'll look for response post here or you could contact me directly at SmoothSailVT@gmail.com
Thanks for any information you can offer!

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Six bolts? I am only aware of 3.
I asssume when you say that you have and original model that you are refering to a DS I with a lever-operated centerboard. The lever assembly, at least the OEM assembly, was made of Bronze, although often chrome or nickel plated. All the DS I boats that I've seen only had 3 screws to hold the CB lever assembly in place. My old 1969 WIDGEON (as well as my Dad's first sailboat, a Beetle Falcon) used basically the same CB lever assembly, and if those 3 screws haven't been out in a while, they can get hard to remove. The 3 screws thread into a bronze casting that is glassed into the starboard side of the CB trunk, it is possible that careful application of a little heat might help to break the screws loose. Or careful use of a penetrating oil on the threads.
Once you get the 3 screws out, the lever can be slid out of the side of the CB trunk and the CB will usually fall/slide right out of the boat. I used to remove the CB from my Widgeon every Fall as soon as I hauled the boat out, this made painting the CB and inside the CB trunk a lot easier. In the Spring I re-installed the CB, it may take 2 people to do that.
In the picture below, that locking tab was not used on all models, or may have been lost, the boat can be sailed fine without it if there is enough friction between the Cb lever and the gasket. (my Widgeon did not have the tab)

Attachments

S

smoothsailvt

Rope and pulley/spool centerboard

Six bolts? I am only aware of 3.
I asssume when you say that you have and original model that you are refering to a DS I with a lever-operated centerboard.

I have a cable lift system running up to a spool in the cockpit that is pulled by a line that is lead back to a cleat on the aft end of the centerboard trunk.

I have a picture (just don't know how to attach it, yet)

Jun 2, 2004
Sounds to me like you actually have a Rhodes 19. The DS I was only built with a lever operated CB, not a reel-winch. That cable-lift setup that you describe was used on the Rhodes 19, Mariner and some early Javelins.

I've added a few pics below, the first shows the CB reel on a MARINER, the second shows a RHODES 19 (kind of small pic), the 3rd shows a R19 cockpit and CB trunk, and the last is a DS I.

On the R19 you do not need to remove that reel assembly to remove the CB, just remove the pivot bolt and the CB will come out. You actually may want to use the reel assembly to lower the CB out of the trunk when you remove it (CB weighs about 165#).

Attachments

S

SmoothSailVT

Maybe it's an early Javelin?

Sounds to me like you actually have a Rhodes 19. The DS I was only built with a lever operated CB, not a reel-winch. That cable-lift setup that you describe was used on the Rhodes 19, Mariner and some early Javelins.

I've added a few pics below, the first shows the CB reel on a MARINER, the second shows a RHODES 19 (kind of small pic), the 3rd shows a R19 cockpit and CB trunk, and the last is a DS I.

On the R19 you do not need to remove that reel assembly to remove the CB, just remove the pivot bolt and the CB will come out. You actually may want to use the reel assembly to lower the CB out of the trunk when you remove it (CB weighs about 165#).
I have some pictures but I don't know how to attach them to this forum but I can send them for your review and suggestions if you contact me directly at SmoothSailVT@gmail.com

Jun 2, 2004
To "attach" the pictures, when you send the reply, click on "Go Advanced", there will be a section that says "Upload photos or files here", click on that and it will open a window that lets you post up to 5 pictures. It is easier to do than explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.