Drying out 1982 O'Day 19

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
So I've got an ongoing problem with bilge water in my boat. Every time I think I've got it dry, there's more. Part of the problem is that the boat lives in my driveway, which is a steep tilt, so the boat is tipped forward. I pull it on the street and jack it up, even drive it a few blocks away to a steep hill so it is pointing up and try to pump the water out. No matter what, there is always more. What am I missing? Anybody got any insight?

Is there a low point in the bilge where I could set up some kind of pump setup or something?

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Why can't you park it the other way in your driveway? Or add a recess drain hole in front boat.

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
Why can't you park it the other way in your driveway? Or add a recess drain hole in front boat.
I'd have to winch it up the driveway, not back it in with the car. What do you mean by a recess drain hole?

Mar 29, 2017
Recess like a thru hull but a plug that doesn't stick out of boat causing drag and slowing boat speed

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
That sounds like a good idea. I was hoping someone on here would be able to point out the lowest hollow point where it would make the most sense to put something like that. I've thought about putting something like that on the transom just under the cockpit drain, but even on a steep hill, the water doesn't all flow back there. It seems to hang out toward the beam, like there's a U shape to the hull.

Mar 29, 2017
So you use a standard drain plug but install it on inside with 3m 5200. Crawl in and see where water pools up and set threaded plug on level spot to mount then drill make sure hull not cored there or you'll need a sleeve

GerryG

Sep 16, 2018
O'Day 19 Bayport, NY
OK. That sounds like a plan. I've got to find where that low spot is. Thanks.