Dry sail the Choctawhatchee Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
I spend the winter in Santa Rosa Beach near Destin, FL. I bring my C22 sport with me and sail on the Choctawhatchee Bay. I usually launch near Destin Harbor from a State Park launch area in Joes Bayou. The boat is not bottom painted because I dry sail in Kansas City on a local lake and I keep the boat on the trailer within 100 yds of the launch ramp. Here in Destin, I store the boat on a dry lot with the mast down. I'm sure some of you know, it is often hard to convince the 1st Mate to sail, if she knows we have to raise the mast, rig the boat, etc. Does anyone in the area know of a place that I might store the boat on the trailer, with the mast up, near a launch area. I would consider any location on the Bay from Niceville to Destin. I think I could convince my first mate to sail more often, if we could do it like we do in KC. Just hook up to the truck, launch the boat and go sailing! Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already wasted a week of beautiful weather because I could not find reliable help! Chuck Turner

Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
I spend the winter in Santa Rosa Beach near Destin, FL. I bring my C22 sport with me and sail on the Choctawhatchee Bay. I usually launch near Destin Harbor from a State Park launch area in Joes Bayou. The boat is not bottom painted because I dry sail in Kansas City on a local lake and I keep the boat on the trailer within 100 yds of the launch ramp. Here in Destin, I store the boat on a dry lot with the mast down. I'm sure some of you know, it is often hard to convince the 1st Mate to sail, if she knows we have to raise the mast, rig the boat, etc. Does anyone in the area know of a place that I might store the boat on the trailer, with the mast up, near a launch area. I would consider any location on the Bay from Niceville to Destin. I think I could convince my first mate to sail more often, if we could do it like we do in KC. Just hook up to the truck, launch the boat and go sailing! Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have already wasted a week of beautiful weather because I could not find reliable help! Chuck Turner

S

Steve

Chuck

You certainly have a great place to daysail. I trailered my previous boat (Y-Flyer) to Destin several years ago and was able to launch at a public ramp very near San Destin. Awesome sailing on the bay. Now have a 23' O'day and and would jump at a chance to trailer down for a week of sailing. Have you given any thought to creating a mast raising system for the boat. Shouldn't be too much to rig it and step the mast yourself. I've encountered the same issue with regards to storing the boat while there. Have you checked East Pass Marina? Brooks Bridge Bait & Tackle has a paved ramp. It might be worth a call to see if they allow mast up dry sailing. Good sailing

S

Steve

Chuck

You certainly have a great place to daysail. I trailered my previous boat (Y-Flyer) to Destin several years ago and was able to launch at a public ramp very near San Destin. Awesome sailing on the bay. Now have a 23' O'day and and would jump at a chance to trailer down for a week of sailing. Have you given any thought to creating a mast raising system for the boat. Shouldn't be too much to rig it and step the mast yourself. I've encountered the same issue with regards to storing the boat while there. Have you checked East Pass Marina? Brooks Bridge Bait & Tackle has a paved ramp. It might be worth a call to see if they allow mast up dry sailing. Good sailing

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
The Fort Walton Yacht Club is the only place I Know of

You'd have to join the Yacht Club but it would be worth it even without the storage objective. Next time your out here I'll show you around and buy the first beer. I think there is a wire across the top of the ramp at the place near the East Pass. I'll keep an ear and an eye out for others. There may be a place in Freeport but I think the drive and the motoring out of Lagrange Bayou make that an unlikelyobjective. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision puts out guides that have that sort of information. http://research.myfwc.com/products/product_info.asp?id=1323 and http://research.myfwc.com/products/products.asp and http://www.fwyc.org/default.asp

Jun 2, 2004
The Fort Walton Yacht Club is the only place I Know of

You'd have to join the Yacht Club but it would be worth it even without the storage objective. Next time your out here I'll show you around and buy the first beer. I think there is a wire across the top of the ramp at the place near the East Pass. I'll keep an ear and an eye out for others. There may be a place in Freeport but I think the drive and the motoring out of Lagrange Bayou make that an unlikelyobjective. The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commision puts out guides that have that sort of information. http://research.myfwc.com/products/product_info.asp?id=1323 and http://research.myfwc.com/products/products.asp and http://www.fwyc.org/default.asp

Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
Good Info

To Steve and Rick, First, to Rick, I might just take you up on the beer. For Steve, wish you were here. I would love to have help from another real sailor (not that my first mate who happens to be my wife is not a real sailor.) I do have a mast raising system for my C22, but to do it comfortably, it is a two man job. My wife can do it, but it's not one of her favorite things. I have a roller that clamps on the bow rail and then I use the boat traler winch attached to the furler to raise the mast. Works great but it works better if there is someone on the boat guiding the mast to prevent the tendency to swing to the side. This is my third year bringing the boat down, and I have not been able to find a place to dry sail. I have resisted bottom painting because,as you probably know, once you do it you have to continue and I am able to dry sail in KC. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and paint it because there are a few places available to leave the boat in the water. For Rick, if I joined the Yacht Club, would I be able to dry sail? Thanks to both of you for your replies to me plea. Chuck

Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
Good Info

To Steve and Rick, First, to Rick, I might just take you up on the beer. For Steve, wish you were here. I would love to have help from another real sailor (not that my first mate who happens to be my wife is not a real sailor.) I do have a mast raising system for my C22, but to do it comfortably, it is a two man job. My wife can do it, but it's not one of her favorite things. I have a roller that clamps on the bow rail and then I use the boat traler winch attached to the furler to raise the mast. Works great but it works better if there is someone on the boat guiding the mast to prevent the tendency to swing to the side. This is my third year bringing the boat down, and I have not been able to find a place to dry sail. I have resisted bottom painting because,as you probably know, once you do it you have to continue and I am able to dry sail in KC. Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and paint it because there are a few places available to leave the boat in the water. For Rick, if I joined the Yacht Club, would I be able to dry sail? Thanks to both of you for your replies to me plea. Chuck

Jun 2, 2004
Absolutly, I Think...

I am real sure there is space in the dry storage area for another boat on a trailer. We also have a very active C22 fleet. Give me a call I am in the book.

Jun 2, 2004
Absolutly, I Think...

I am real sure there is space in the dry storage area for another boat on a trailer. We also have a very active C22 fleet. Give me a call I am in the book.

Jun 2, 2004
I Should Have Also Mentioned

You and your family can sail any of the clubs boats which include Flying Scotts, 420s Lasers Sunfish, Optis, and Hobies.

Jun 2, 2004
I Should Have Also Mentioned

You and your family can sail any of the clubs boats which include Flying Scotts, 420s Lasers Sunfish, Optis, and Hobies.

H

hutch

Launch Site

You need to check with Brett Hinely at Blue Water Bay Marina. Might be a little cheaper than joining a yacht club. Besides, they have a great sailing community there. Good Luck

H

hutch

Launch Site

You need to check with Brett Hinely at Blue Water Bay Marina. Might be a little cheaper than joining a yacht club. Besides, they have a great sailing community there. Good Luck

Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
Young or fairly Young

Rick, I found 3 Rick Webbs in the phone directory. They range in age from 31 to 49. Are you the young Rick Webb or the fairly young Rick Webb. Seriously, I would like to talk to you. Chuck

Mar 29, 2006
- - Kansas City, MO
Young or fairly Young

Rick, I found 3 Rick Webbs in the phone directory. They range in age from 31 to 49. Are you the young Rick Webb or the fairly young Rick Webb. Seriously, I would like to talk to you. Chuck

Jun 2, 2004
The One in the Middle

On Rue De Palm in Niceville. I did not realize ther were that many of us around here. The ramp in Blue water is quite a distance from the storage yard and there are at least two sets of wires across the road not to mention the oak trees but I'll ask Brett when I see him tomorrow (thanks for the reminder) I was supposed to drop somthing off to him a week ago and have been occupied with other things.

Jun 2, 2004
The One in the Middle

On Rue De Palm in Niceville. I did not realize ther were that many of us around here. The ramp in Blue water is quite a distance from the storage yard and there are at least two sets of wires across the road not to mention the oak trees but I'll ask Brett when I see him tomorrow (thanks for the reminder) I was supposed to drop somthing off to him a week ago and have been occupied with other things.

Jun 2, 2004
Good News

I spoke with the Commodore and we soon will have a Snowbird membership category. The requirement to live within 40 miles in order to have a boat in a wet or dry slip is not going to change. Be sure to get your membership application in early as it takes two readings during the monthly board meetings so it will be at least two months maybe close to three to get approved. I also checked at Bluewater and there is noway to do it there there are no longer powerlines but the trees will prevent anything much taller than 12'.

Jun 2, 2004
Good News

I spoke with the Commodore and we soon will have a Snowbird membership category. The requirement to live within 40 miles in order to have a boat in a wet or dry slip is not going to change. Be sure to get your membership application in early as it takes two readings during the monthly board meetings so it will be at least two months maybe close to three to get approved. I also checked at Bluewater and there is noway to do it there there are no longer powerlines but the trees will prevent anything much taller than 12'.

Status
Not open for further replies.